375-338 lapua

flims

Has anyone necked up a 338 lapua to a 375? Given that today more bullets are available in 375, would you reckon any significant improvement over the 375RUM? the lapua cases can take better pressure i reckon. opinions appreciated. Also this would sport a 25 inch barrel + brake for better maneuverability in case a close shot presents itself during an African hunt. 100-700 yard gun

I am sure someone has done it. I had a 375 RUM and I was getting about 2900 fps with 300gr partitions if I remember correctly. The shorter fatter Lapua case will be more efficient so you should gain a little velocity but not much. and not as much as a 378WBY. Dont forget the old 375 H&H either, its a great old cartridge. But to answer your question yes I believe a 375-338 Lapua would be a pretty cool round. Also I think a 25" barrel should give plenty of burn but maybe one of the guys that have more experience with big bores than I do will chime in.

On here kirby allen is known as fiftydriver. He has developed the allen.mags. He has a 375 allen xpress which is tne lapua necked to 375. I have an email in which he states i will get same velocity as weatherby or rum with better brass. I plan to have kirby build me one and i am going to shot the ce 325grn bullet at 2800fps

Darrin

On here kirby allen is known as fiftydriver. He has developed the allen.mags. He has a 375 allen xpress which is tne lapua necked to 375. I have an email in which he states i will get same velocity as weatherby or rum with better brass. I plan to have kirby build me one and i am going to shot the ce 325grn bullet at 2800fps

Darrin

interesting, same velocity as the 378 wby? i would not have guessed that.

I know, i felt the same way . Origionally i emailed him about getting me set up with a 378 weatherby. But suggested this for what i wanted to do. However it will sport a 28in barrel. Maybe that has something to do with it

Darrin

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.