338 Norma Improved

Thanks for the responses guy's. I got the fire forming part under control no problem. I ended up going the route of creating a false shoulder simply by using a 35 Whalen decapping rod assembly in a universal decapping die.

I will be getting the hydraulic form die for my setup because I want to try it and I believe it should eliminate at least some fire forming. My plan of attack is to find a load with about 16 cases that are formed and fired then load the formed brass with this load and as long as it shoots good run it till something changes.

Thanks for the responses guy's. I got the fire forming part under control no problem. I ended up going the route of creating a false shoulder simply by using a 35 Whalen decapping rod assembly in a universal decapping die.

I will be getting the hydraulic form die for my setup because I want to try it and I believe it should eliminate at least some fire forming. My plan of attack is to find a load with about 16 cases that are formed and fired then load the formed brass with this load and as long as it shoots good run it till something changes.
Did you end up having a hydraulic forming die?

Since the Peterson was .018 short of go gauge, I had the chamber cut to the brass. You couldn't screw the die down enough to bump the shoulders back.
Rhovee has Peterson corrected the short length on their current brass? I just ordered a reamer from Manson for a 338NMI and I sent a dummy wound with a 300 OTM and Peterson brass. I don't want my chamber to be to short to use other brass.

Did you end up having a hydraulic forming die?
I did get the hydraulic forming die. Seems to work pretty well. Shoulders look round out of the die but it seems to push them forward enough to headspace so I don't have to make a false shoulder. Still haven't got around to forming much brass and getting measurements but should soon now that season is over

Rhovee has Peterson corrected the short length on their current brass? I just ordered a reamer from Manson for a 338NMI and I sent a dummy wound with a 300 OTM and Peterson brass. I don't want my chamber to be to short to use other brass.

Using Peterson brass for the reamer dimensions would be ok. But Lapua has been in stock for quite a while. Are you going to be shooting Lapua?

I did get the hydraulic forming die. Seems to work pretty well. Shoulders look round out of the die but it seems to push them forward enough to headspace so I don't have to make a false shoulder. Still haven't got around to forming much brass and getting measurements but should soon now that season is over
Cool! Whidden did my first one and am very pleased with it. Because of the long wait and cost, I am having my GS build my reloading and the hydraulic forming die. For the hydraulic forming die, I have a ...

Newlon forming die.jpg

... and

Whiddeen hydraulic form die plunger set-up.jpg

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to ask Rhovee and others more about the 338 NMI loads they're currently using and about any 300 grain loads they have any experience with? I am planning on shooting 300 grain Berger's preferrably and would love to have accuracy with velocities around the 2,850-2,900 fps mark but don't completely know how much more it gives you having an improved version over the standard. Mine is a 35 degree version and it will have a 26" barrel. Any suggestions for 300 grain loads would be much appreciated.

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to ask Rhovee and others more about the 338 NMI loads they're currently using and about any 300 grain loads they have any experience with? I am planning on shooting 300 grain Berger's preferrably and would love to have accuracy with velocities around the 2,850-2,900 fps mark but don't completely know how much more it gives you having an improved version over the standard. Mine is a 35 degree version and it will have a 26" barrel. Any suggestions for 300 grain loads would be much appreciated.
It will depend on your chamber and several factors, what powder are you planning on using? I can give you some of my loads, but it will have to be worked up... Don't want you to blow anything up or get you to ruin lots of expensive brass.

Here are my loads: all 300 Grain bullets with Norma Brass and Federal 215's primers. Seated using Hornady guages from Ogive is 2.853" OAL 3.603":
Retumbo = 87.5 grains using once fired brass
LRT= 95.3 grains with new Brass that is not fire formed 3.617" OAL
LRT= 96.2 grains for once fired brass 3.617 OAL

Both powders are sub MOA all day long. test in cold and hot weather.

I prefer Retumbo, but it's hard to find at times, hence the LRT load. I using both these loads out of two different systems I use a lot, DT and MRAD.

I Hydro Form my brass, and will load up the LRT load that shoots sub moa with standard 338 Norma that hasn't been fired formed yet. Then I get to enjoy shooting and fire form some AI brass. So I can run either load, the zero is minimal that I just dial to compensate for

It will depend on your chamber and several factors, what powder are you planning on using? I can give you some of my loads, but it will have to be worked up... Don't want you to blow anything up or get you to ruin lots of expensive brass.

Here are my loads: all 300 Grain bullets with Norma Brass and Federal 215's primers. Seated using Hornady guages from Ogive is 2.853" OAL 3.603":
Retumbo = 87.5 grains using once fired brass
LRT= 95.3 grains with new Brass that is not fire formed 3.617" OAL
LRT= 96.2 grains for once fired brass 3.617 OAL

Both powders are sub MOA all day long. test in cold and hot weather.

I prefer Retumbo, but it's hard to find at times, hence the LRT load. I using both these loads out of two different systems I use a lot, DT and MRAD.

I Hydro Form my brass, and will load up the LRT load that shoots sub moa with standard 338 Norma that hasn't been fired formed yet. Then I get to enjoy shooting and fire form some AI brass. So I can run either load, the zero is minimal that I just dial to compensate for
I haven't tried LRT. How does it do velocity wise?

2850-2900 would be asking a lot from a 338 NMI with a 26" barrel. A 338 Lapua Improved would be closer to what your after. 2750-2800 is more accurate speeds for the NMi.

I haven't tried LRT. How does it do velocity wise?

I'm my 30Sherman Mag LRT produces the same velocitys as n570 and rl26 at equal pressures. I've noticed Kirby uses it in his stalker wildcats based on the 300NM and gets around 100fps over retumbo.