30cal 180 gr prohunter ?

Rounder

Hello , I'm new to the LRH.
Anyone use the 180 gr prohunter in 3006 for whitetail ?
If you do, how do they perform or are they too tough ?

Rounder.

I've not used the 180 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter but I have used 165 gr. Game King and they are the best I've found in over 50 years of hunting deer with shots from about 35 yards to about 300 yards and I would be confident to shoot out to 600 yards if needs be. I shoot them in a couple of 30/06 rifles I have and load them over either IMR 4350, H 4350, or Reloader 17 powder with CCI primers.
I've heard the 180 gr. bullet was to heavy and would go right through a deer, but I guess it depends on type of caliber and distance you're shooting.

I've not used the 180 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter but I have used 165 gr. Game King and they are the best I've found in over 50 years of hunting deer with shots from about 35 yards to about 300 yards and I would be confident to shoot out to 600 yards if needs be. I shoot them in a couple of 30/06 rifles I have and load them over either IMR 4350, H 4350, or Reloader 17 powder with CCI primers.
I've heard the 180 gr. bullet was to heavy and would go right through a deer, but I guess it depends on type of caliber and distance you're shooting.

Thanks Waynzee, are you using the hollow point or the spt ?

I totally agree with Waynzee. From my 06 I shot the 150 with great succes and pride. Not a sexy bullet but... ;-)

Thanks Waynzee, are you using the hollow point or the spt ?

Soft Point Boat Tail 165 grain Sierra Game King. I have never lost a deer with this bullet, I have had a couple take a few steps but usually when I hit them through both shoulders it' s just bank, flop, DRT.

Soft Point Boat Tail 165 grain Sierra Game King. I have never lost a deer with this bullet, I have had a couple take a few steps but usually when I hit them through both shoulders it' s just bank, flop, DRT.
Thanks for the reply and sharing your experiences with the game kings.

I like those BFDRTs

Sierra says the .308 spt prohunter 180 gr has a bouble tapered jacket but can't find any info on what that means exactly.

I cut the tips off a ballistic tip and a prohunter but they seem to have the same thickness.

I used the 180 Pro Hunter for several years in my 300 WM and was very satisfied with its performance on deer . Only negative was damaging the tips of the bullets in the magazine during recoil . Keep hoping Sierra will some day put a plastic tip on their GK and PH series bullets .

I used the 180 Pro Hunter for several years in my 300 WM and was very satisfied with its performance on deer . Only negative was damaging the tips of the bullets in the magazine during recoil . Keep hoping Sierra will some day put a plastic tip on their GK and PH series bullets .

Nice, what velocity?

Sierra will some day put a plastic tip on their GK and PH series bullets .[/QUOTE]

Yep, that would make a world of difference, Sierra came out with plastic tips on their Match King bullets a little while ago and from what I've read they are kicken as&.

While super accurate, I always felt the 180 PH was just too stout in a 30-06 for deer. Drop back to either the 165 GK or the 150 GK or PH for best results.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.