308 Sierra TMK 168

osok-1k

I loaded some of these last week and shot this group yesterday (1-29-22) Atlas tactical, Brux 1-11 medium palma, Trigger Tech Diamond in a MPA chassis. The chamber is a PTG custom which replicates the old PMII chamber for M-118 175 which has a longer throat than most match chambers. I loaded them to mag length which is 2.92 just to see what happened. I shot 1 round as an aiming point and five rounds in the group pictured. My conclusion is that they work ok. Lapua brass full length sized, CCI primers, 43.2 IMR 4895. I didn't measure velocity as it's plenty and I don't chase speed as much as accuracy.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 163
I agree, unfortunately there is not a range in my area that has anything nearly that far. I usually shoot at Blackwood in Montgomery County, Texas but currently they only go to 200 with 400 being built but not yet ready. Still a far cry from 1k

I loaded some of these last week and shot this group yesterday (1-29-22) Atlas tactical, Brux 1-11 medium palma, Trigger Tech Diamond in a MPA chassis. The chamber is a PTG custom which replicates the old PMII chamber for M-118 175 which has a longer throat than most match chambers. I loaded them to mag length which is 2.92 just to see what happened. I shot 1 round as an aiming point and five rounds in the group pictured. My conclusion is that they work ok. Lapua brass full length sized, CCI primers, 43.2 IMR 4895. I didn't measure velocity as it's plenty and I don't chase speed as much as accuracy.
What's the freebore on that chamber?

I don't know exactly but it doesn't matter if it shoots the way it does. Dave Kiff at PTG could answer that, I know it's what used to be known as a PMII chamber for the M118 175 Sierra but I can't argue these results

This batch was using Petersen large primer cases FL sized with a Forster Match FL die. I like to seat using Wilson arbor press dies and I loaded to max magazine length with smooth functioning. I would have chased the lands a bit more but it has to work from a magazine so the rest is moot. My charge is 43.2 IMR 4895 and Federal 210 primers. I have only 60 rounds down the barrel so it may break in a bit more, I can't complain about anything with this load and I hope that a little more optic power will help me focus on a smaller segment of my target as I attempt a five shot caliber sized group. I bought a case of Petersen 168 RDF loaded ammo which is small primer so when I shoot more of that I'll likely use CCI 450 primers. By the way the Petersen loaded ammo shot very well with groups at around 3/8" at 100, I also shot a 1/2" group at 200 which equates to quarter MOA. I'm putting a higher magnification scope on soon so my old eyes can see better at longer range. It's a Riton X7 4-32x56. Just looking through it at max power of 32 the reticule seems a little thick for my taste. I have a Vortex GenIII 6-36x56 coming when they are available again which I believe will have a reticule that fits my eye better.

Some have asked about velocity, I don't really care as I strive for accuracy and I am confident that this load / rifle combination produces enough velocity for anything I will ever need in a .308. I have a Lab Radar and may break it out one day just to see what this combination is running but I prefer to do actual range calculations to determine drop at a given range. If I do my job as a shooter and measure actual bullet drop I can plug that data into my Strelock Pro app to calculate true BC and effective velocity. Correction to my previous post this morning, this batch was loaded using Lapua brass, not Petersen. My apologies