308 Precision Carbine

Nomosendero

Had to sell my 308, I am looking at getting another by the end of the year. Anyone using the Savage Precision Carbine in 308 & if so, what do you think about it?

I got one to replace a very inaccurate Browning Micro Hunter A-Bolt 308 and I love it. It weighs a bit more than the Browning because of the heavy contour barrel but it has been very accurate and reliable so far. Another great thing about it is the magazine length. The A-bolt mag was just long enough to feed maximum standard length cartridges but the Savage has a nice long magazine so I can load bullets out beyond max length for accuracy and they will still fit in the magazine box. My hunting load is 150gr Barnes TTSX over Varget and it regulary does 5 shots into 3/4" at 100 yds if I do my part. It's very brushy where I hunt blacktail so I like a compact rifle, it goes through the brush pretty well being so short. I also bought another 308 PC and am trying to decide what barrel to put on it. I've got a 23" Pac-Nor SM and a 26" Shilen SM both in 260 Rem. Tried the Pac-Nor last week and was shooting clay pigeons at 400 yds. Not phenomenal but I am just learning the long range game and was pretty excited to consistently make hits on little targets like that at distance. My $.02 is Savage 308 PC=thumbs up!

I don't own one myself but know a number of guys that do and I doubt you could talk them out of them once they got their loads worked up for them. Great shooting gun. Some of them have gotten rid of the trigger and went to the Rifle basic's triggers to improve the gun but still without doing that they do shoot very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.