300 wsm - favorite load and coal for 185 gr berger classic hunters

tailbon3

I purchased a box of 185 grain berger classic hunter. I am thinking to give R17 a try or H4350, both seem to be favored powders for the 300wsm. Has anyone tried the 185 in their gun? How did they do? I think mostly I'm wondering about seating depth. Did you seat them close to the lands or not?

T3, if you want to try H4350, I loaded it with 185 Berger VLDs, 215M primers in Hornady brass for my hunting pal's Savage 116 stainless. With some tweaks of the seating depth it is awesomely accurate and dropped an elk last year in it's tracks. Start low and work up with the powder. You're not a Dork, you just learned something about research. Good luck

I have a Savage Model 12 Stainless and I am shooting the Berger 185s powered by 69 grains H4831SC and Fed 215 Mag large rifle primers. Took a South Texas white tail at 335 yards in 2012, bullet did exactly what it was supposed to, deer fell DRT. Lost the lease and so been working on my long distance shooting, same load shoots 3.75" group at 545 yards. I have just shot some 215 hybrids, thanks Broz, and am way impressed, will be making the switch as soon as the last box of 185s are gone. Velocity on the 185s is 2986 fps at 3888 ft elevation. 230's powered by 65 grains of H4831SC and the fed 215 primer is just at 2800 and over 1700 fps at 1,000 yards. Incredible bullet. No pressure signs on any of my loads. Have shot in excess of 400 rounds of the Berger 185s.

I am a dork. I googled my question after asking it and the 3rd link was this one:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/300wsm-rl17-82864/

Which has exactly what I was looking for.
tailbon3,
You may want to go to the Berger Bullet website and in the drop down under the INFORMATION tab click on TECH TALK and read Eric's article on bullet seating depth testing of our VLD BULLETS for hunting and target application. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us either in this string or at [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.