.300 Winchester Short Magnum from 24" barrel elk at 800 yards??????

caesar55

Yes? No? Maybe? Is this round accurate enough from this barrel? Or the 6.5 PRC is still better?

Yes? No? Maybe? Is this round accurate enough from this barrel? Or the 6.5 PRC is still better?
My .300 WSM propels the 215 Berger at 2850 FPS out of 24" barrel. With a 200Y zero and at my altitude, it's 1806 FPS and 1557 FT-LBS at 1000Y. My unwritten rule is >1800 FPS/>1500 FT-LBS at POI for elk size game. If I do my part, it's .5-1 MOA at 966Y. So, 1000Y would be my max for this set-up.

ADDED:

At 3" plus COAL, it will shine even better.

Last edited:
Yes it will and here's on tested to 1400 yards.

300 anything with 215's
IMG_4322.jpeg

IMG_4324.jpeg

I am a huge 6,5 PRC fan, probably my favorite caliber at the moment. I have taken quite a few animals with this caliber and have been impressed with it to say the least. Elk sized game out to 500 yards with one shot kills and no tracking needed. If you do your part, know your ballistics, follow the guidelines of the manufacturer for bullet penetration and expansion, this cartridge will do its part.

That being said, I feel bigger is always better, but only if you can handle the recoil. For an 800 yards shot on an elk I would recommend the 300 short mag every time over the PRC. JMO

I am a huge 6,5 PRC fan, probably my favorite caliber at the moment. I have taken quite a few animals with this caliber and have been impressed with it to say the least. Elk sized game out to 500 yards with one shot kills and no tracking needed. If you do your part, know your ballistics, follow the guidelines of the manufacturer for bullet penetration and expansion, this cartridge will do its part.

That being said, I feel bigger is always better, but only if you can handle the recoil. For an 800 yards shot on an elk I would recommend the 300 short mag every time over the PRC. JMO
This^^^^^^^! Very well written explaining KNOW your ballistics and bullet performance parameters. Like you I enjoy the heck outa my Tikka super lite in 7mm0-8 with 162 eldm's! That's right I said eldm😂 but it's definitely not my 800 yard elk get'r. That's a 300wm and Berger 215's, again well written Allen.

I killed a bull in 22 at 864 yards with one using 195 gr badlands right at2900 fps. I would not attempt that shot with anything smaller, especially a 6.5 anything

Is this round accurate enough from this barrel?

The question is about the accuracy of this cartridge not the residual energy or velocity at a given distance.

Accuracy is a totally different set of parameters or factors, the worst one being the individual shooter and their abilities. We don't know these capabilities in this question so it's really a mute point except when you change the question to energy and velocity.

Lots of cartridge/bullet/powder combinations will create the proper numbers for 800 yards. But it's the accuracy of the shot from those numbers which answers the question. Wind will still be the problematic factor along with the the shooter's ability.

Shoot more!

:)