300 Whisper

Qzilla

OK, new project and I need some advise.

I am going to build a 300 whisper on an Ar15 platform. I am sick of carrying a levergun around on our hog doggin trips. Then when I get there they just blast my ears.

The rifle is a DPMS it will be a 16" barrel and will be suppressed.

I talked to Shawn Carlock as he now does most of my smithwork but, I cannot even remember what all we talked about on this project.

Should I build it myself other than having the barrel threaded or the quick release for the suppressor? It seems that all the parts and even barrels are easily obtainable.

Should I buy an upper like the Olympic Arms or something similar? Would it shoot decent?

Should I send it to a smith and let them deal with it (slow way and I am a right now sort of person)

Should I let SSK industries do it because they came up with it to start with?

Now, the vast majority of my shots with this rifle will be point blank range. I am a little concerned with bullet performance on a hogs head at point blank range. Velocity will be in the 1000FPS range at impact. I am mostly concerned about riccochets and hitting the dogs.

Also, even though the majority of the shots will be at point blank, I hate to limit myself to that. I might occassional shoot an exotic or something else.

I will most likley be using the 220 or 240 SMK. Any thoughts on this bullets performance under 1000 FPS?

Thanks for the advise! Oh and Shawn, feel free to chime in anytime.

Just let Shawn build it. It would be far more accurite.

I would also look at the 208 amaxes. I would bet that they will expand at 1000 fps hitting bone. I assume you are going to shoot them in the ear. You can also run full tilt loads thru it and it would not have the blast and as much noise as with out the suppressor.

d-a

Assume you know that to shoot the 240s you are going to need an 8 twist which means it must be built off a custom blank?

I have a SSK whisper with 1-8 on the contender and love it.

Buy a complete upper from SSK and be done with it. Probably in stock anyway. Guarantee that will shoot as accurate as anything anyone else can build, they have built hundreds if not thousands and they are the yardstick for everyone else in the whisper world.

BH

If Shawn has been doing your work,why change? I see no reason to look any farther........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

with ssk you pay more usually, but have heard nothing but good about their stuff. also, if you buy from him he'll help you with any questions that should arise. but, if you don't buy from him, he won't talk with you.

riccochet....it'll happen. they riccochet bad.

i think it's a fun caliber, i just wish there were some better bullets for them as far as subsonic expansion goes.

good luck

[ QUOTE ]
if you buy from him he'll help you with any questions that should arise. but, if you don't buy from him, he won't talk with you.

riccochet....it'll happen. they riccochet bad.

i think it's a fun caliber, i just wish there were some better bullets for them as far as subsonic expansion goes.

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason I am looking at SSK is for their knowledge and help with ammo, loads and supplies.

I know they will riccochet but, at point blank range do you think they will riccochet off a hogs head? I figured it had to be similar to shooting a soft 45 load or something?

I also wish we had more choices for bullets but, the one thing I have never been able to get answered is if you can shoot some of the round nose type bullets? Or is the jacket just still too thick?

Hi with thw Whisper shoot the heaviest projectiles possible. their is a diferend pattern to the wound channel when using long subsonic projectiles. The projectiles become unstable on impace and start to tumble inside the animal and cut through like a broad head arrow and make huge cuts through the tissue. A lot of Deer shooters in New Zealand use sub sonic whispers in 300 and 338 for their deer shooting with supressors with great results and they use 300gr MatchKings for the 338's and 240gr MatchKings for the 300's. Your other option is an A Max their jackets are very thin and they will expand well. The choice is yours i would use the 240gr MatchKing but the 208gr A MAx is also an option. The heavier the projectile you are using as a soft point means that they are generaly designed for a heavier calibre so the 220gr soft points will not expand at the low velocities anyway. Stick to the A MAx or MAtchKings. If you hit the animals their will be no ricochets that way and always make sure where your friends are. no one ever tells anyone not to use a 22 long rifle for rabbits and they are the worst of them all.

Cheers Bill
Australia

the guy I bought my whisper from shot 3 deer with his, and he used the 220gr round nose bullets. he also cut a massive hollowpoint in some of them. so i guess that answers your question about shooting animals with round nose. go for it.

and I don't think they would bounce off of a hogs head unless it was a pretty weird angle.

keep us posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts