300 Weatherby and 200gr Barnes LRX - anyone tried it?

Dr. Vette

Has anyone tried the 200gr Barnes LRX in the 300 Weatherby?

I'm working up a load for my Dad, as he really likes the 150 TTSX in his 7mm Weatherby, and I have that load at max COAL to fit inside his magazine. I find that I can load out to 3.665 COAL with the 300 and still fit into the magazine box of his Mark V. Today we got the rifle centered on paper at 200 yards, and I now need to work on load development.

Has anyone tried this bullet, and if so I am especially interested in the COAL you used as well as the powder charge. At this point I am using IMR-7828SSC for the powder. With 82.0gr today there were zero signs of pressure, and this is listed as the max load in the Barnes book. Brass is Weatherby brass, primers will be Federal 215M.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Not yet but I'm gonna.

Probably 7828ssc as well.

Weatherby Mark V. don't know what COAL it will fit.

Interesting. Seems to be an appropriate mono for the Wby 300. Yes 180s are more common but who wants to be common.:D

Well, I'm hoping for 2950fps range on 7828ssc with the factory 26" barrel. If I can get it to shoot the way I want, IMHO good to 700 yards with the min 1800fps impact velocity Barnes recommends.

Tried them in one of my 300 RUMs, like the projectile. 3250fps was not a stretch. Increases range on min impact velo to 900 yards. :cool:

Practice, practice, practice.

gents, I realize this is an old post (2+ years), but I was wondering if either of you tried the Barnes 200 LRX in your 300 Weatherby Magnums.

Any input/insights would be appreciated.
My online research hasn't yielded much in the way of useful information.

Thanks in advance for any time and information you may choose to share.

I am finally in the process of trying it. While I can easily hit 3000+ fps I'm not getting the accuracy I would like. I was out again this morning, and tried different primers and COALs, with no definite winner.

I may now move to RL-22, which is listed in the Barnes manual and the Nosler manual as the "most accurate" with a 200 grain bullet.

Since 300 wby doesn't seem to get a lot of attention around here thought maybe a couple of 300 wby loaders may have some answer or ideas for me. Question is that coal on 300 wby. The books seem to list really short coal but with the free bore and mag length on factory wby's long why so short in books.
I'm in process of developing and loading for my buddies 300wby with new Hornady 220 eld-x. I believe I was able to get them out to 3.6 ish off top of my head. Boy did they shoot like crap with Re25 yesterday evening. I'm going to try Retumbo next and if Alliant Can get me a load for Re33 that would be great. Any ideas on 220 eld-x fellow 300 wby loaders?
Sorry for hijack, but seemed like a co-winky dink seeing heavies in 300:D

Thanks,
Gene

I just bought some MRP to try with the 200 LRX's.

What do the books give as the most accurate powder with bullets over 200? I doubt they list the 220 you're shooting, but the weight category should at least help.

I've found MRP to be the most accurate in my 300 Roy. That's with 180 Speer Grand Slams.

Those whippy 26" Krieger barrels seem to be picky on bullets & powder combinations.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.