300 weatherby 180gr TSX

69firebird

My 300wby loves the weatherby factory loads, 180 TSX. It shoots 1/4" at 100. Early 2000s accumark, no break.

I figured I wouldn't mess with a good thing, but I'm tired of buying factory ammo!!

Anyone have any sub moa load data? I load h4831 and H1000 in my other weatherbys.

Should I chronograph the factory loads and start handloading for that velocity node? And copy the COAL. I doubt the books will give me a load for the speed those factory rounds are traveling.

IMO as a Weatherby shooter and reloader...

The 300 likes 180 Barnes. So does the 300 RUM.

Yes, I would chrono the factory loads. I would shoot for that velocity but there are challenges with getting right on. It will still take some trials that will include some loads that don't work.

Lots of Wby factory loads seems to be IMR 7828. My load is 7828, I don't remember my 180 TTSX 300Wby accuracy. H1000 and H4831 (SC) are listed on http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle Barnes loads for the TSX BT are listed here http://www.barnesbullets.com/load-data/

The TTSX COAL might be a little different.

Thank you

I loaded some last night according to the hodgdon data, H1000. When the weather is better (cold and windy November) I'll get out and chronic those factory rounds and start.

I've rarely had any luck trying to copy a factory load. Just build a load with desired bullet like you normally do

Right on about the difference in capacity for the 300 wea. If it shoots the factory barnes good I'd bet you can build a load that will shoot also. 7828 is what I use in my 7-300 weatherbys too. I haven't tried others. I usually pick a powder that I think will give me the velocity I want with the bullet I chose and try to get an accurate load close to that velocity. I hate having to try a lot of different powders in cartridges that are hard on barrels.

Right on about the difference in capacity for the 300 wea. If it shoots the factory barnes good I'd bet you can build a load that will shoot also. 7828 is what I use in my 7-300 weatherbys too. I haven't tried others. I usually pick a powder that I think will give me the velocity I want with the bullet I chose and try to get an accurate load close to that velocity. I hate having to try a lot of different powders in cartridges that are hard on barrels.

Bingo ya thats why i try. Find a good powder, in my case H1000 for my weatherbys and stick with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.