300 Norma load data question

eod.mickelson

What is your go to source for load data? Especially for less common cartridges. For my other rifles it seems like the load data is pretty standard between different companies and anecdotal experience from individuals online.
I'm specifically seeing a huge variance in max charge weight for my 300 Norma. I've looked at Hornady manual, Hodgdons manual, Berger data, and lots of sample loads on the interwebs and there's is a huge disparity between minimum load and max load. I understand the manuals are conservative, but as a new reloader in a scarce component environment, it's hard to even pick where to start when Hodgdon says the max load is 78.3, Hornady says 81.5, and most people with similar setups are running in the mid to upper 80s.
For reference: my setup im starting with is
26" proof barrel 1:9
Lapua brass
H1000
federal 215M
225 eldm

I have 6 lb of lot matching h1000, and 300 ELDM, so I don't exactly have a ton of extra supplies to work through as I start loading for this rifle so any help as to good references to use or personal experience with h1000 and 300 Norma would be great

When I had my 300 Norma, 83 grains of H1000 was my max with 225 ELDM seated .020" off the lands, Lapua brass and CCI 250 primers. 82.5 gave an ejector mark and 84 was stiff bolt lift.

When I had my 300 Norma, 83 grains of H1000 was my max with 225 ELDM seated .020" off the lands, Lapua brass and CCI 250 primers. 82.5 gave an ejector mark and 84 was stiff bolt lift.
Thanks!
That's seeming like the more common thing I'm seeing. But I've still seen people getting 88 grains and claiming no signs of pressure. But if I started with hodgdons min/max id do a few ladder tests before I ever got close to those numbers.

Last edited:
What is your go to source for load data? Especially for less common cartridges. For my other rifles it seems like the load data is pretty standard between different companies and anecdotal experience from individuals online.
I'm specifically seeing a huge variance in max charge weight for my 300 Norma. I've looked at Hornady manual, Hodgdons manual, Berger data, and lots of sample loads on the interwebs and there's is a huge disparity between minimum load and max load. I understand the manuals are conservative, but as a new reloader in a scarce component environment, it's hard to even pick where to start when Hodgdon says the max load is 78.3, Hornady says 81.5, and most people with similar setups are running in the mid to upper 80s.
For reference: my setup im starting with is
26" proof barrel 1:9
Lapua brass
H1000
federal 215M
225 eldm

I have 6 lb of lot matching h1000, and 300 ELDM, so I don't exactly have a ton of extra supplies to work through as I start loading for this rifle so any help as to good references to use or personal experience with h1000 and 300 Norma would be great
This is the exact reason I quit buying reloading manuals and bought Quickload.

Put all of the proper metric in (case length, COAL, pick the exact bullet and true up lengths, case capacity) and it will usually be VERY close to predicted velocities and apparent pressures.

This is the exact reason I quit buying reloading manuals and bought Quickload.

Put all of the proper metric in (case length, COAL, pick the exact bullet and true up lengths, case capacity) and it will usually be VERY close to predicted velocities and apparent pressures.
I'll have to look into it, I'm very new to reloading so manuals have been my starting point but I'm not opposed to software

I ran QL query based on your data The only data adjustments I made were barrel length and powder (H1000) which I ran up to 100% fill rate to get an idea on pressure. I would probably start at 81.0 grains.

Attachments

• 300 Norma Mag 225 Hornady ELDM H1000.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 52
I ran QL query based on your data The only data adjustments I made were barrel length and powder (H1000) which I ran up to 100% fill rate to get an idea on pressure. I would probably start at 81.0 grains.
Awesome, thank you for that! It's great to see the data. 81 does sound like a good starting point