28ga shooters

Discussion in 'Upland Bird Hunting' started by Gregory Duerr, Jun 12, 2018.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Dom

Dom Active Member

I was going to hunt big birds that didn't fly. Kinda off topic, but I was getting set up to shoot a deer with my R93 rifle and 28 guage barrel.

[​IMG]

Got some Brenneke slugs, put an Aimpoint on it. Great setup, shot excellent.

[​IMG]

But I had trouble extracting the spent casings. The cases would bulge, stick, and I'd have to ramrod most of them out. I almost loaded some slugs myself in high brass to see if that would solve the issue, or just use it as a one shot wonder! I'm sure it would have worked, maybe I'll still try it, just take my Rem 870 12ga slugger as backup ;)

[​IMG]

2. Sflutes

Sflutes Well-Known Member

Kent Ultimate Upland in 7.5's, not a big fan of 8's

3. dig

dig Well-Known Member

BC9B13A3-3AFB-41B7-991D-80C1C2DFDEF3.jpeg I prefer to go up in shot size with the 28. 5 or Six shot on quail is my go to, 7\8 ounce loads, with a slightly tighter choke, IC and Mod. In my 16s and 20s I shoot 7.5 or 6 shot with SK/IC or IC/LM. As KY Windage started, it’s the same shot speed just generally less pellets or a longer shot string compared to the same ounce load in a 20ga. The key is to hit the pattern board which few do. Unless hunting were regulated would not even consider anything but lead, again hit the pattern board and skip the marketing hype.

4. farmin

farmin Member

hevi shot 6 in 28 gauge

5. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  6. dig

dig Well-Known Member

B&P is a great shell. Low recoil (not that that matters in the 28). Love the nickel plated stuff for box birds in the over bores.

KyCarl likes this.
  7. John Seniw

John Seniw New Member

I like them too. I find they kill well beyond their size.

8. CUTTER1

CUTTER1 Well-Known Member

I've hunted pheasant and quail with a 28 for years. I have several both O/U and S/S. Also a pre-64 model 12 with Williams rib and Briley chokes.
    For pheasants I use Winchester SuperX 1oz in 5 shot. Quail I like Federal dove 8 shot or Win AA skeet in 9shot