280ai Lapua brass data

Alex Wheeler

I recently re tuned my 280ai on lapua brass so I thought I d share some info. I also switched from the 168 vld to the 175 long range accu bond based on a friends really good experiences with them on paper and game. I just got tired of the Nosler brass. The neck thickness variation was .003" on my lot and when I switched lots the volume was so different I had to drop my load by a full grain. I used a 7 mag neck size die and ran in the virgin case to create a false shoulder for the case to headspace on (see pic). Then a 7mm mandrel to set neck tension. In my case I did turn the necks but you dont have to. An unturned loaded round measured .314". After forming the cases measure 2.465" vs the Nosler brass 2.530" (see pic). Still plenty of neck and the carbon ring is a non issue if you clean with a bronze brush, although I have reamers speced with shorter chambers specifically for this brass. The load I worked up in this brass was very close to the load the Nosler stuff shoots. Just be careful and work up to this. I found these bullets shot best in the .030-.040 jump range so I started at .030 jump. The 210 federal gave better es than the 250 cci and br2 with similar accuracy. If there was much difference I cant shoot it in a 7.5lb rifle. I am using reloader 23, the barrel liked it with 168s. Here are 4 groups I shot at 605 yds this morning. Velocity was from 2878-2922. 600-700 is my max for this rifle so thats where I am tuning it. I have not fine tuned seating depth but I probably will call it good as is. I dont want to wear out my Broughton since I cant replace it :) Its a 8.5 twist at 24" fyi The Bergers would shoot about 1" smaller but Im more confident with these if I hit a shoulder.
DSC_0179.JPG
DSC_0178.JPG
DSC_0182.JPG
DSC_0175.JPG

Last edited:
Nice rifle and good shooting!

Thanks for posting the pictures. I have a 280 Remington and I have been considering using Lapua 30-06 brass in the rifle. I like the picture of the false shoulder and I can do that. I have been using both Winchester and Remington 280 brass in my rifle but I would like to step-up to the Lapua brass thinking I could improve my group size. I had a bad experience with a new Remington single case this week where even after the neck was annealed the case neck was so hard it was scary. I had annealed the case neck and shoulder and ran the case through a full length sizing die and then used a Sinclair 283 mandrel. I wasn't happy with how the sizing die and mandrel felt but I went ahead and loaded the case. The bullet seated so hard that if I had fired the round I know I would have blown the primer at the least. I just pulled the bullet, dumped the powder and tossed the case in the trash. The other cases worked OK. I have never had this experience with a new case. When I need more cases I will buy the Lapua.

Last edited: