280AI dies

I'll read that thread as it appears to be discussing one of the sources that say the chambers end up the same (thus my confusion on the die difference). Maybe you've already looked this one up and can answer while I work through that thread: Nosler states you can shoot 280 in their 280AI (the SAMMI one), are folks finding that is not the case in reality?

I think the only real difference, and the one that could cause issues, is the max OAL. In the latest Nosler manual the 280 Remington is listed as 2.540 whereas the SAMMI spec 280 Ackley is listed as 2.525. This could certainly cause some issues with max length 280 brass fired in the SAMMI spec chamber........but it's an easy fix as long as you don't mind trimming new brass :). I can see where firing factory 280 Remington could be a potential problem.

Talked to the smith I am going to use more, his reamer is a pre-SAMMI. In stewing it all over I'll go traditional with it headspaced .004" less than 280Rem. Planning to fire form off 280Rem now rather than trying to use Nosler brass.

I'm under the impression I can still go ahead and use SAMMI dies though with the lock ring on the die properly set so I'm not pushing the shoulder back more than desired.

Lee collet die for 280 rem, Redding body sizing die, wilson inline seater !

Regarding the Lee collet die.. have you had success using the standard .280 rem collet die with the .280 AI? Any info would be appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.