280AI dies

pods8

I'm going to send a gun in to get barreled in 280AI after the holidays so I'm starting to gather up goodies (brass, dies, powder). Brass is obvious unless fire forming (nosler). Powder I figured I'd try and find some H4831SC for bullets in the 139-145gr turf, I already have some IMR4350 on hand as well. So that brings around dies. Currently I've used both RCBS and Hornady, both seem just fine (the sleeve in the Hornady seater is nice). Both I can produce 1/2MOA ammo shot from factory rifles.

Is there a really compelling reason to jump into redding or such dies over Hornady in this purchase? I figured I'd start with a 2 die set and just set the FL die to bump the shoulder.

(Sorry I know dies get hashed a lot, I'm just feeling incisive at the moment. :rolleyes:)

I load for a friends 280AI. We lucked out, it was very easy to load for. 62.5 Retumbo, 168 VLD, 210M. Its around 2840 fps in the .2 and .3.s. He has killed at least 3 deer with so far, but nothing long range yet. I am using the standard Redding dies.

Jay

I'm going to send a gun in to get barreled in 280AI after the holidays so I'm starting to gather up goodies (brass, dies, powder). Brass is obvious unless fire forming (nosler). Powder I figured I'd try and find some H4831SC for bullets in the 139-145gr turf, I already have some IMR4350 on hand as well. So that brings around dies. Currently I've used both RCBS and Hornady, both seem just fine (the sleeve in the Hornady seater is nice). Both I can produce 1/2MOA ammo shot from factory rifles.

Is there a really compelling reason to jump into redding or such dies over Hornady in this purchase? I figured I'd start with a 2 die set and just set the FL die to bump the shoulder.

(Sorry I know dies get hashed a lot, I'm just feeling incisive at the moment. :rolleyes:)

You going traditional ackley or SAAMI?

Im having a 280 ai (traditional ackley) built rt now... Are you guys running full length or shoulder dies?

I was planning to go FL dies and just setup to bump. I figure with the low body taper it wouldn't be a bad idea to resize each time to ensure good feeding (total personal thought, nothing technical behind that).

So out of curiosity why going with the traditional (which is only sorta standardized) now that a SAMMI spec has been laid down? I figure over time the new standard will become the prevalent one and there is nosler brass (and even ammo) available, dies are going to focus on the new SAMMI chamber, etc. Hopefully others enter the market on brass over time as well. Seems like chambering in the old one at this time is staying wildcat for no reason. [Though articals state when each is setup the same there is no difference in the end but the dies are still different which causes confusion to me still, either way I figure I might as well go with the "standard" for less headaches down the line.]

I was planning to go FL dies and just setup to bump. I figure with the low body taper it wouldn't be a bad idea to resize each time to ensure good feeding (total personal thought, nothing technical behind that).

So out of curiosity why going with the traditional (which is only sorta standardized) now that a SAMMI spec has been laid down? I figure over time the new standard will become the prevalent one and there is nosler brass (and even ammo) available, dies are going to focus on the new SAMMI chamber, etc. Hopefully others enter the market on brass over time as well. Seems like chambering in the old one at this time is staying wildcat for no reason. [Though articals state when each is setup the same there is no difference in the end but the dies are still different which causes confusion to me still, either way I figure I might as well go with the "standard" for less headaches down the line.]

Main reason is I hand load, so fire forming brass (and having more brass options) wasnt a problem. Second was that if I were to go on a hunt, and my handloads somehow got lost, its easier to find 280 loaded ammo than 280, theres a long article on here, but basically in SAAMI spec version you cant really shoot standard 280....

Edit: this is what I was tlaking about, long read, but worth it. I was going to go SAAMI till I read this, then decided on traditional. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/280-ai-controversy-explained-118623/

I'll read that thread as it appears to be discussing one of the sources that say the chambers end up the same (thus my confusion on the die difference). Maybe you've already looked this one up and can answer while I work through that thread: Nosler states you can shoot 280 in their 280AI (the SAMMI one), are folks finding that is not the case in reality?

I'll read that thread as it appears to be discussing one of the sources that say the chambers end up the same (thus my confusion on the die difference). Maybe you've already looked this one up and can answer while I work through that thread: Nosler states you can shoot 280 in their 280AI (the SAMMI one), are folks finding that is not the case in reality?

Correct

My 280AI I can chamber Nolser 280AI case also new Rem 280 and Win 280 case. My rifle was 280 before new barrel.

I'd seen you post about bullets. I have some Sierra 168gr,Berger 140gr/168gr/180gr VLD and some others. PM address

Okay so I just read through that. I don't recall seeing anyone say they had issues closing a bolt on 280rem in the 280ai (sammi) only the potential for it. Have you read elsewhere that someone with the 280ai (sammi) was having that issue?

My 280AI I can chamber Nolser 280AI case also new Rem 280 and Win 280 case. My rifle was 280 before new barrel.

I'd seen you post about bullets. I have some Sierra 168gr,Berger 140gr/168gr/180gr VLD and some others. PM address

Awesome, will do!

Okay so I just read through that. I don't recall seeing anyone say they had issues closing a bolt on 280rem in the 280ai (sammi) only the potential for it. Have you read elsewhere that someone with the 280ai (sammi) was having that issue?

Awesome, will do!

I read some posts on here (and i think over at 24hour campfire) where people had SAAMI spec chambers and were using standard 280 brass and it was popping the primers out when they were forming.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.