• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

280AI 98 Mauser Kevin Weaver

Montana'eer

.280AI built on a 98 Mauser action. Metal work and barrel work done by Kevin Weaver in CO. Barrel is a 21" Shilen 1:9 twist. Chamber is SAAMI spec. This rifle was originally built by Kevin Weaver for a customer who was of small stature (client since passed away). IIRC the client did the stock work and it's very nice. I picked it up and had my local gunsmith add to the stock to fit my 6' average frame/reach a little better. I also added a Timney trigger. The stock is bedded and fitment got a 'pass' from my gunsmith in Helena.

The rifle shoots factory Federal Terminal Ascent 155gr very, very well. In fact I have not been able to duplicate consistent accuracy with my handloads, but I have not really tinkered too much with it. To be honest- I cannot get comfortable behind this rifle at all. The stock is slender, it doesn't point well for me- it was obviously tuned for a smaller person. If my wife or daughter wanted a .280AI, I would remove some of the stock spacer and set them up. The fore end fits their smaller hands really well.

When I spoke to Kevin about this rifle he indicated this was the one of the last if not the last rifle he did for this client, so we assumed 'new barrel'. I broke it in with factory, then shot 19 rounds of Federal Terminal Ascent, and possibly 60 handloads. Round count is really low.

This is a really nice looking rifle. It would be awesome for a smaller statured person. The scope rings/mount go with the rifle, not the scope. It weighs 8lbs 11oz with a Leupold VXIII 50mm bell- not a bad weight for a Mauser.

There is one nick in the stock right below the action opening- see last pic. Other than a minor scratch here or there- that's the only 'flaw'.

$900

rvnNfdx.jpg

g8I1W48.jpg

JuYShFe.jpg

Mk7apKc.jpg

NHU6N3S.jpg

Zj7GeMk.jpg

zoV6iLi.jpg

UjcxG2M.jpg

YRsCb5h.jpg

Last edited: