280 AI 140 gr TTSX

ramrod79

Does anyone shoot 140GR TTSX out of their 280 AI , if so what are you using and what kind of accuracy are you getting. I have a fair amount of these ,and would like to use H4831sc , let me know your results guys.

Last edited:
Re: 280 ia 140 gr ttsx

I run them in my 280 (not AI) with a heavy dose of R-22 with very good results. When I had my X-Bolt, my velocities were running right at 3000 fps out of a 22'' barrel giving me 0.50-0.75 MOA groups. I've found the faster you push a TTSX, the better they group.

H4831sc is pretty close to the same burn rate of R-22, so I would think it should work well.

You are right on that Gus I have found in my old 270 WSM they liked to be worked really hard ,and they were super accurate I hope they work well in the AI too .

ramrod79

A week ago I was helping a friend of mine work up some loads for his new Kimber Montana in 280 AI using the 140 TTSX with H4831SC. We tried a ladder of 8 different load groups of 3 spaced 0.5 grains apart for a total of 24 rounds. I was kind of surprised to see such a light rifle put almost everything into about 1 inch at 100 yards. One load ran 1.25" so we only fired two of those. One load was about 0.75" and everything else right close to 1 inch.

If we fired all shots at the same point of aim it would have torn a 1 inch hole in the target. I don't remember seeing a rifle do that with such a wide variation in the quantity of powder used. We figured to use the fastest load at this point since they were all about the same group size.

This was the first try with a brand new rifle, no barrel break in. He plans to use this as his backpack rifle and will not shoot it past 400 yards. This guy has a 300 RUM that he uses unbraked and this little 280 AI wore him out by round number 20. It has some bite at that light weight. Shoots good though. COAL was set so the rounds would fit the mag so there might be some improvement to be had by adjusting seating depth but it is good enough as it is since he is staying inside 400 yards. The 300 is his long range rig and it shot better than the 280 but it is a semi custom.

How hard did you push the 140s I mean what GR did you start with ,and what was the highest GR you guys tried.
I have a 280 AI in a Kimber Montana ,and it shoots 168 GR Berger VLDS really well 58GR 4831sc 210 primers at a 3.375 COL. I want to try these TTSX in My Cooper as it shoots the VLDS OK but gun should shoot better than .75 inch group so I thought I would give the TTXS a try.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 206
I would really play with seating on any of the copper bullets. My 280 has loved the 150 ttsx, but I found seating more valuable than powder. I ran everything common, found rl17 grouped the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.