270 WSM ladder test

Truc

I did the above ladder test Saturday at 300 yds. I used the 165 Matrix and Started at 66 gr Retumbo and went up to 69.5 gr. Just like it showed the bullets climbed as the load increased then leveled off at around 68.5 thru 69.5 gr. I did not have any loaded at a higher weight but the pressure was showing as a cratered primer but no problems w/ bolt lift, so I figured this is probably the knode that I want to test. The cartridge is loaded at 2.94" w/ 26" barrel
Should I be looking for more as the speed at 68.5 gr was 3075 fps avarage or stop and work on 3 shot groups at 200 yds?
I did notice how easy it was to clean the barrel afterwards, w/ no copper fouling and a total of 25 shots for the day.
Thanks

I also did some testing sat with the 165 in my 270wsm. As you stated I was amazed at how easy barrel cleaning was. I used h1000 and stopped at 66.6gr, not due to pressure but that was the highest I loaded. I'm wondering if h1000 and retumbo create similar results, if so your data will help me find my max load, I'm not sure how high I should load. Thanks for sharing

I did a ladder test last weekend, 270 WSM w/Berger 150's & MagPro. Velocity's were all over the place. Even so, at 500 yards, with velocity's from 3000-3250 fps, the entire "ladder" ended up in less than 12" of paper.

Going to try H1000 next & see if velocity's level out.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.