260AI for Tahr and Red Stag?

Discussion in 'Australia, New Zealand' started by MTGunner, Jun 20, 2015.

1. MTGunner

MTGunner Well-Known Member

I have a trip booked for June 2016 to the south island of New Zealand. My want list includes Tahr and Red Stag. I have a very accurate 260AI(6.5x308x40) that I load 130 Berger VLD hunting and 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. Both loads are very accurate. My question is, are these loads adequate for Tahr and Red Stag? I have taken deer, feral hogs, Red Lechwe and common and white Blesbok with these combinations. I do have a 300WSM that I load 180 accubonds and is also accurate. But, I really do like the 260AI. BTW, I shot the Red lechwe in the chest and it exited just below the anus. Stem to stern you might say. What think you all? MTG

2. Fergus Bailey

Fergus Bailey Well-Known Member

Hi MT

I don't think you will have any problem with the 260AI. I would take it on your trip without a second thought.

3. rjmarine

rjmarine Well-Known Member

i just got back from nz hunting tahr and a friend that was with me was using a stock 260 loaded with 120 TTSX and took a 13 1/2" bull very cleanly at 440 yrds
    so your 260AI should do just fine.
    BTW i was shooting a 25x47 [ 222 rem mag necked up to .257 ] loaded with 80gr TTSX and took my tahr with a clean shot at 472 yrds gun)

happy hunting and shoot strait

4. rjmarine

rjmarine Well-Known Member

5. gillettehunter

gillettehunter Well-Known Member

I think that you will do fine. My only caution is that a big red deer is about the size of a raghorn bull elk. Be sure of your shot placement and angle. I used a 7mm w/ 140 gr bullets for my Tahr and Red deer. Tahr are often found near/on steep drops. Mine was DRT from a high shoulder shot. Only a couple of feet from a 150 plus foot drop. Some drops are where you can't recover them...... A lighter caliber will kill fine. You are just a little more limited on where to shoot him as travel is more likely to occur. Best of luck. Bruce

6. wilkup

wilkup Well-Known Member

Good luck on your upcoming hunt! Post pics and let us know how you do when you return =)