260 rem, 143 gr eld-x and 4831-sc

rhouser

I just received 500 143 gr eld-x bullets. I am hoping for a fine long-range bullet with some terminal ballistics. So far, I just "picked" a jump of .010 and a load range of 46.0 to 46.5. My 8 twist 26" barrel really likes the 142 smk's at 46.5 gr of 4831-sc. They fly at between 2885 avg and 2901 depending on whether I am using norma or nosler brass.

I went to the eld-x 143 gr hoping for the accuracy of the 142 with a little smack down added on the terminal end. We shall see.

Does anybody shoot the 143 eld-x in 260 rem with 4831-sc? What kind of jump are you using?

I am going to load a few more of these and go back to the range today. My first 3 round tests showed that it likes the 46.5 pretty well, but it went back vertical with one shot. Could have been me, a flyer or the load. No chrono on these yet.

Thanks in advance for any input.

rch

I have shot a lot of 140 grain pills from my 260's and the ELDX sounds a little more like the NAB just a better BC. It will definitely work but I have switched to the 120 NBT or the 140 AMAX. In the 260 for whitetail.

The 120 NBT is an excellent bullet for every 260 I have fired them in. The AMAX shoots great in the 8 twist rifles and really rocks these 100 pound whitetails. I shot the 140 NAB from several 260's very accurate but the deer I harvested with them acted like they had not been hit. They didn't travel far at all but just acted like they weren't hit even when I new they were. I deduced from the experience that the bonded type bullets were just to stout at 260 velocities.

I hear the NABLR expand faster but have not tried them on game as yet. They sound like the ELDX.

I am certain you will find a very accurate load with that combo. Please let us know your experience.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I use the NAB 130 with w-760 for my 260 rem white tail load. I have a 700 Mountain rifle with the skinny barrel that LOVES that bullet. The 700 Mountain Rifle in 260 is my white tail gun. The 8 twist is a long range shooter. It loves the 142 SMK's. I just can't resist trying the "new" I guess.

thanks rch

I got a sticky bolt and the best group both at 46.5 gr of H4831-SC. This is exactly the same load that this gun (8tw 26" barrel) likes for the 142 SMK's. 46.0, 46.3 and 46.5 all acted as expected with the group tightening at each progression. I have been jumping .010 but may need to play with it. The nosler brass is causing more sticky bolt than either Norma or RP. I wish I could find the Lapua 260 brass. I am sorry I didn't buy it when I had the chance.

At 100, this combination is coming in. I will chronograph this load and see what is really happening. If it chono's ok, I will then take it out for some distance.

I have access to 1000 yards most weekends, but, at 65, I am not to interested in shooting mats and bipods on top of 30" of snow. Guess that makes me an old wimp.

thanks and I'll be back with some chronograph results.

rch

The nosler brass is causing more sticky bolt than either Norma or RP. I wish I could find the Lapua 260 brass. I am sorry I didn't buy it when I had the chance.

thanks and I'll be back with some chronograph results.

rch[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update RCH. The Lapua brass I have shot has been better quality wise than the others tested. Check the weight of the cases you're shooting I'm guessing the Nosler brass you are shooting is probably heavier than the others.

Smaller inside dimensions create more pressure hence stiff bolt lifts. The Lapua brass will probably be heavier than the Nosler so you may need to drop back half a grain. If the weight is heavier on the Nosler you can probably go with 46.5 and Rem brass. Once you check velocity you may find its the same.

Good luck Bob

WOW! I was going to point the OP to some of the sources I've used in the last 8 weeks for Lapua 260 brass but they are indeed all sold out! When did that happen??

Anyway, one of my tricks was to simply neck up or down 308 brass when I had to. I've been really tempted to neck down some of Lapua 308 WIN palma with the small primer... I'm intrigued as the case head has more material and I would think strength.

Man I hope more comes in soon!

JD

Scottishkat, I agree. Either the volume capacity of the Nosler is smaller or the brass is softer than the Norma or the R P brass.

Skytow, I am not worried. There is 260 REM brass available, just not Lapua 260 REM brass.
I have a sufficient stock of Norma, R P, and Nosler brass to last a while.

My point was that for my 260 46.5 of H-4831-SC appears to be the upper limit with the 143 GR VLD-X bullet. I now need to get out the magneto speed and get the velocities.

thanks rch

I will be interested to see how your load develops. I have had lapua brass on back order for some time now. I wonder if guys are stock piling it. I thought maybe the popularity of the 6.5 CM would take the pressure off of the 260 brass market, but perhaps it is doing the opposite.

I too will be working up this load. I was running 45gr 4831sc under a 140gr sst but got ahold of the 143 eldx for testing. What length are you loading for. I have to stick to 2.85 due to mag length restrictions. I noticed that I had a fair compression at 45gr under the sst's, and can only imagine higher compression with the 143's. I was getting 3.-.4 groups with the 45gr and 140gr sst loads. I hope I can corral the eld-x into that accuracy range.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.