257 Weatherby loads with RL26

Ramshot Magnum in the 257Bee MKV ultralight 26" ,100TTSX 76 grains of Magnum Federal 215, 3667 FPS, SD 11.1 under 1/4" 3 shots starting with a cold barrel and no signs of pressure.

257Wby/100gn TSX/Ramshot Magnum, Mule Deer, quartering towards, 597yds. Into the point of the on-side shoulder, found under the hide of the off-side rear-quarter. The deer crumpled in place. MV 3650fps, Impact velocity ~2000fps which is plenty given that the bullet is mushroomed almost all the way down to the solid shank.

9CD6EAE5-483B-4111-8064-EA5E1133F9FC.jpeg

Last edited:
RL22 and the 110 Accubond make a great combination.
I have had good luck with this combo. I have only tried RL22, but now this thread is making me want to explore some different options if they become available.

Currently at 68.5gr RL22 in Weatherby brass, 110 AB & 215M primer. Do not know initial velocity but it shot a 1.9" at 300 yards this past weekend.

Are the mentioned powders H1000 & RL26 that much more superior than RL22? (for 257 WBY)

I've used all 3 powders in my 257. All are good only I found RL-22 more temp sensitive than the other two. My go to load is RL-22 with the 120 Sierra, but I keep in mind the temp I will be hunting in vs the temp I developed the load in. JME

I have had good luck with this combo. I have only tried RL22, but now this thread is making me want to explore some different options if they become available.

Currently at 68.5gr RL22 in Weatherby brass, 110 AB & 215M primer. Do not know initial velocity but it shot a 1.9" at 300 yards this past weekend.

Are the mentioned powders H1000 & RL26 that much more superior than RL22? (for 257 WBY)

I had my 257Wby assembled in '08. 'Win M70 SS Classic, #3 Lilja @ 25" 1:10 3-groove, McMillan Classic Edge fill. 22 and Ramshot Magnum were the only 2 powders I tried. Magnum was a bit faster but significantly lower ES/SD and demonstrably more accurate than '22 for me. I run the Magnum through a Harrell's Culver dispenser to +/- .1gn. Assuming prepped brass, I could run them on a Dillon 550 the powder meters that well.

I haven't actually chrono'd Magnum in really cold temps, but, I've taken a cow elk and at least 1 Mule Deer @ 0F ambient with zero drama.

257 Wby MK V ultralight 26" barrel 72 grains IMR7878 100TTSX 3570 FPS no signs of pressure, 3 consecutive shots under 3/4" starting with a cold barrel.
I've never seen a cold barrel effect, though I see a cold shooter effect quite often. Try practicing dry firing before shooting & I bet that cold barrel warms up!
Best wishes & God Bless!

I've used all 3 powders in my 257. All are good only I found RL-22 more temp sensitive than the other two. My go to load is RL-22 with the 120 Sierra, but I keep in mind the temp I will be hunting in vs the temp I developed the load in. JME
I will also be sure to check on that this summer. Here in Tucson, even in October it can still be in 90s/low100s during the day but 40/50 early AM.
What is the temperature swing that RL22 can tolerate?
Of the other powders, is there one that would be least sensitive to temp w/o sacrificing accuracy?

With the small bodied deer we hunt here, it doesn't take much to miss so I'm thinking it might be a good idea to find another powder so my dope doesn't change from Oct to Dec

What I meant was if you developed a max load in 50 degree temp with RL-22 then used it in 90-100 temp you will run into pressure problems and vice versa would drop your pressure/velocity and you may be out of your node. Only way to know is to test. H-1000 and RL-26 are more stable, but very hard to find right now. Norma MRP is another good powder that I have used and found it to be, while somewhat temp sensitive, not as sensitive as RL-22.

Yep, like CC said, hotter is worse than colder. Even colder, 100fps only costs you about 1MOA @ 500yds assuming a ~.5BC and 2700-2900fps start. Add velocity, BC, or both and the effect of lost velocity @ colder temps is nullified greater.

Looking @ the OP and 100's/257Wby, Assuming 3600fps and .336BC, @ 600yds 100fps is less than 1MOA lost/gained.

Depends on how many nits you wanna pick.

I made the comment from a cold barrel. To duplicate hunting conditions after I have done my testing and arrived at a load I am happy with, I will shoot 3 shots starting with an ambient temperature barrel and fire 2 more shots about a minute apart, as I feel this will duplicate what I might encounter in the field. As to the comment practice dry firing. I have been a competitive precision bullseye pistol shooter since 1970, some years I have shot over 80 NRA registered matches in one year. I was putting on a seminar for a group of shooters several years ago and someone asked how many rounds I had fired between the 22 and 45ACP, as near as I can tell close to 1/2 million. We shoot from 50 feet on some indoor ranges, out doors, is 25 yards timed and rapid fire 50 yards slow fire at a ten ring a little over 3" one handed. My first reloading press was a used RCBS A2 that I purchased in 1967, been reloading since and still learning.

I tried R26 with Fed 215 Gold metal and could not find any combinations acceptable. Shelved it for over a year and was able to get Vihtavouri N560 but no Fed 215. I have a lot of GM210 so I tried the GM210 with the N560. With increasing charge was able to achieve desired accuracy with optomine velocity. I will still go back and try R26 with the same GM210 to see if I can achieve similar results.