257 Weatherby Loads for Hunting

Allen Kitts

I was wondering what some of you guys favorite loads were utilizing the 115 Grain Berger VLD Hunting Bullet in the 257 Weatherby. I have a new Cooper Rifle and everything shoots OK out of it but nothing shoots good.
Even the load that they shot the test target with doesn't shoot that good and its not a hunting round. 100 Grain Sierra Match King. I am a big fan of the Berger bullets and was just wondering what kind of experience others were having with the 115's.

Nailed a deer at 300 yds. DRT, it was a pass trough. I also have used the same bullet in my 25/06 with good results, but at a reduced vel.
PS muzzle vel with the 120 GK in my 257 was 3345ft/sec.

We are shooting 115 VLDH in three .257 Weatherby rifles. They are very accurate. Does your Cooper have the freebore as the Weatherby's do? Waiting for AzShooter to respond.

Last edited:
One of the best and most accurate bullets my 257 Vanguard liked was the discontinued 120 gr HP Hornady. Good performance on game also. Has anyone else used these..

Hi Dosh, yea I guess I had better respond.

Allen,

There is a possibility the freebore and throat angle may be why the VLD won't work for you.

Dosh mentioned me because my friend Dan and I had a custom reamer made with shorter freebore with bullets seated .070" to .100" from lands and a 1 1/2 degree throat specifically for the 115 VLD. That reamer has made 7 barrels to date and all shoot the 115 VLD. All barrels used were 3 groove Liljas. lengths varied from 26" to 28"

All rifles use Norma brass and Fed 215 primers

You asked what powders? The pet load is 72-74 of RL-25 with. (We worked up to max load listed for 115 BT shown in Nosler loading manual which is 72 grs. The Berger VLD with is minimal bearing surface can work with more powder than the BT. Add moly and you can go even higher) All rifles are using moly coated 115 VLD bullets. The 74 gr loads were worked up in 85 degree temps. Outstanding accuracy in all these rifles.

One rifle is using H-1000 which doesn't yield the higher velocity but is very stable in extreme temperatures.

Current barrel on my 257 is using RL-33.

When my first barrel started chewing up VLDs I switched to a moly coated 110 Accubond. Used 84 gr of RL-33 with THIS RIFLE. It was severely worn in the throat area which I believe would have lessened pressures. Got close to 3700 fps with it before it began to foul terribly and took forever to clean. Required 4 foulers then had only 5-8 good shots and it would open up. At that point I rebarreled.

That first barrel was used to learn what bullets other than the 115 VLD would work and with a variety of powders.

Second barrel only uses moly coated 115 VLDs with 83 gr of RL-33. Barrel is 27 1/4", velocity is a stunning 3685 fps. If anyone were to try RL-33 with a 115 best to start around 77-78 grains and work up. Case will be quite full at 83 grs.

Other powders and bullet loads from 28" lilja 3 groove:

100 gr nos bt moly RL-22 69 gr 3600 ave vel

100 TSX moly RL-22 69.5 gr best 3660 ave

I just looked at Nosler's load data and see they list IMR 7828 and H-1000 edging out RL-25 with 115 gr bullets. 7828 is fastest for 110 accubond as well.

If you cannot get the 115 VLD to shoot I would suggest you try the 110 accubond as your first alternative.

Good luck with your new rifle.

I was wondering what some of you guys favorite loads were utilizing the 115 Grain Berger VLD Hunting Bullet in the 257 Weatherby. I have a new Cooper Rifle and everything shoots OK out of it but nothing shoots good.
Even the load that they shot the test target with doesn't shoot that good and its not a hunting round. 100 Grain Sierra Match King. I am a big fan of the Berger bullets and was just wondering what kind of experience others were having with the 115's.
Agree with your comment on everything shoots ok with the 257 Weatherby. Find that I need to test several bullets/powders to find something the gun likes. Also like the Berger 115 VLD Hunting bullet and getting decent results with 66.0 grains of H4831SC. Am also currently testing the Hornady ELD-X 110 gr bullet using 66.0 grains of H4831SC as well (this load grouping very well at 300 yds).

RL25 with the Berger 115 was a great combo in my factory Vanguard. I rebarrelled with a 26" Benchmark but haven't had a chance to work up load data yet. I was waiting to draw an antelope tag..... still waiting....

I was going to start with Retumbo and the Bergers. I had previously read some good things of that combo and hoping someone will chime in with results.

I don't have a Cooper in 257Wby, but my Weatherby Accumark LOVES the 100gr TSX factory load from Wby - shoots 0.5MOA - and is FLAT shooting! Deadly on game too!

I just loaded a bunch of those and am waiting to shoot them and evaluate. 3500 fps should work well with the Barnes projectiles. What has been your experience hunting with them and at what distances?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.