257 Wby mag 110 accubonds

sledder1

I am going to be working up a load for my girlfriend's vanguard in 257 wby mag. I am thinking of going with the 110 accubonds for 2 reasons: 1. the freebore on these rifles is something like .400" so I just dont want to have to deal with trying to get the vld style bullets to group and 2. I personally believe that the bonded (i.e. sirrocco, accubond etc.) type bullets perform better at close range. I know this is arguable, but this gun will be used to hunt deer and elk so ultra long range hunting isnt going to happen with this gun. My question to all of you is has anyone loaded for this combo? What powder, brass and primers seem to work best? Im trying to save some time by picking your brains

I have the same action. I put it in a boyd's stock, glass bed, and replaced the trigger, added Pentex scope, and shoot sierra 117's. Shoot .4=.5's all day long ifI do my part. I used barnes 100's for the longest and then fell in love with sierra's accuracy load with the 117 and have not looked back. Many of deer and hogs can attest to it :)

That is the type of accuracy that I'm hoping for with the accubonds. I'll just have to try them and see. Maybe I'll be trying the sierra's too. What powder are you using? I just put a rifle basix trigger and a gentry brake on this gun for her. Its like shooting a .22

2 accuracy loads, 65-68grns Imr4350 with a 110 accubond or 63.5-66.5grns Imr4350 with a 115 nosler BT, both in weatherby brass with CCI BR2 or Fed210M primers at 3.225" oal.

2 loads for speed that are slightly less accurate, 69-72.5grns RE25 with the 110 or 67.5-71grns RE25 with the 115s in weatherby brass with CCI 250 or Fed215M primers at the same length.

A really good whitetail load I use is 75.5grns RE25 under a 100 nosler BT with weatherby brass and CCI 250s at 3.215" oal, still shoots less than 1 moa and goes through the chrony at 3880 fps but that's in a 26" barrel, you will be 125fps behind on all loads in the vanguard but they do shoot good.

My favorite 110 AB load for my 257 Roy is 68 grs of Reloader 22. That is a very accurate yet mild load that shows 3468 on my chrony with an SD of only 3. Very nice bullet choice for that caliber. Good luck.

I don't have a 257 Roy but I really like the Accubond bullets for your stated reason of close through long range. I am using the 130 Accubond in my 264 Win mag for the same reasons and in the past two seasons I have taken 5 WT deer from 80 to 250 yards and it has performed perfectly. I only recovered one bullet shot into a nice buck at 111 yards that was almost facing me. Bullet entered left edge of front shoulder smashing the scapula then made soup out of the vitals and was found in the right ham when cutting up the meat. Bullet weight was 87 grs. It left the muzzle at an average of 3350 fps and had to still be doing at least 3100 fps on impact. That is what I call a good bullet.

I do shoot the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter in my 25-06 at 3000 fps with bug hole accuracy and it is wicked in the killing department to a touch over 500 yards so far. :D My hunting buddy used to have a 257 Roy and he shot the 117 Sierra with H-870 which they don't make anymore but it was very accurate and fast. I have read on another forum, I think it was the Nosler forum, about a fellow using Retumbo and the 110 Accubond with great success. May want to take a look over there. Good luck and good hunting.

I shoot a 25/300WSM which is pretty close to the 257wby. I've been shooting the 110AB with both MagPro and RL22 at ~3470fps. Rl22 seems to group a bit tighter. The performace on deer is great. I nailed a 145lb 8pt last year quartering away @ 297yds and he dropped like a rock. Recovered the bullet under the skin of the offside shoulder and it expanded perfectly weighing 98.8gr.

Wby Mag Brass
110gr NAB
Rem LR Mag Primer
H4831-70gr
Oal-3.30

This load runs at 3300fps it's not the fastest but it works.

This is out of Rem sps in .257wby

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.