243 Win Varget load data for hunting round

Wachsmann

Was wondering if anyone has any load data for 243 Win using Varget powder? I'm looking at running the 87VLD and the 95VLD or classic hunter. I also have a few other bullets such as the 90 grain accubond and the barns 85grn TSX.

W, you didn't post your rifle specs. We're getting killer accuracy with the 87gr Berger and H4350 in my grandson's Ruger Mk II stainless. Tried the 95VLD but accuracy fell off after 250yds. He has become quite a marksman with it with the light recoil. Now we need to get him a javelina tag.

Varget is gonna be a little fast for the bullets you're looking to shoot. I'd look to H4350 and even H4831. Some will say 4831 is too slow for the round but 48gr under a 90gr NBT in my T3 shoots lights out! I was running Varget under some 70gr slugs. I believe 42gr... I don't have my notes in front of me at the moment.

I forgot it's a tikka T3 lite 1/10 twist. I'm hoping it will shoot the 95 buy it seem to do the same as your rifle with H4831. The 87 vld's worked out really well. I just had them running pretty slow for a 243. They were right at 2860. Before hunting season we had ran them out to 850 yards but wind drift was pretty much. I tried a gestimation varget load that game me about 100 fps more for the 95's but was worried about pressure not that it gave me any conserns or signs on the case. It also shot very well. I was just putting it out there to see if anyone else had used varget. I know it's mainly for lighter bullets but it also product 3 shots touching at 100 yards. Current load for the 87's was H4831 45 grn at 2.710 coal out of the Berger bullet manual. Very good consistent load just slow. Well wife took her first mully with it last Friday. Bullet preformed excellent. Deer went about 10 yards. Distant was 275 yards ranged. Bullet was in the off side shoulder under the hide about 1/4 inch into the shoulder. She shot him through the liver, and part of the off side lung and then I found the rest of the bullet in the shoulder. If we have to stick with the 87's the that will be ok just would like to get the others working out as well.

I have the same rifle, Tikka T3 lite.

I worked up a decent load with the 95 VLD's and H4350 (measured with magnetospeed)

40.5 grains = 2849 fps
42.5 grains = 2998 fps
Accuracy node was around 41 grains at 2890 fps, shoots sub moa, but not super accurate.

I also worked up a great load with Varget and the 87 grain Vmax:

38 grains = 3082 fps
40 grains = 3245 fps
Accuracy node was around 39.5 grains at 3215 fps
Shoots them great, sub .5 moa

If you have some Varget, may want to give it a whirl with the 87 VLDs.

It also shoots the 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunters great with H4350, but that is a flat based bullet and not too long, so it stabilizes them fine. I tried some 105 amax's that I had laying around just for the hell of it and it was throwing them all over the place.

As always, back off and work up, hope that helps.

I also had a small amount of H4350 and worked up some rounds at the same time when I was doing the H4831. They shot almost as good and the H414 as well but the 4831 produced the smallest group. That's why I used it. The varget produced about the same with 38.8 grns. My chrono is not the best but it figured out to 2950fps at 850 yards with the varget. Come ups were 22moa. Main reason is I have been seeing a lot of it on the shelves and it's a extreme powder which should not change much at all for the temp changes. Appreciate the info on the gun and powder. The 87's did a good job on the buck anyway.

Don't overlook Hodgdon Superformance. I get excellent velocity with it in my wife's 20" .243. 3250fps with an 87gr hpbt.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.