223 Wylde Chamber closes on a 223Rem No-Go Gauge??

hwy1strat

So, I have a Big Horn TL3 and bought a Proof Research profit for it. I threw the barrel on tonight and then checked it with my 223 Go/No-go gauges. The bolt closed on both gauges, but it was definitely hard on the no-go gauge. My barrel is a 223 Wylde chamber. Will that affect it or is my barrels chamber out of spec?

Both the 223 rem and the 223 Wylde use the same head space gauges. you should not force the no go gauge closed because it could damage the chamber. Only use one finger to attempt to close on the no go gauge because it should be about .006, and the go gauge is SAMMI length so that as soon as it closes yo have the minimum head space for the round. Always insert the gauge in the bolt under the extractor so it is held against the bolt face.

The Wylde chamber was designed to handle the 223 Rem and the 5.56 ammo and has a longer throat and freebore for heavier bullets and higher pressures Found in most machine gun ammo.

The 223 Remington ammo can be fired in a 5.56 but it is not recommended that the 5.56 be fired in the 223 Rem because of the differences.

Your rifle should be in the middle of the head space range from what you are saying, so you are good to go.

J E CUSTOM

Do you have a field gauge? If it closes on a field then it could be getting close to the "dangerous" length. I've had an ar15 in 223 wylde and a 6.8spc that both closed on a no-go but not on a field gauge -- they worked fine and had no pressure issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.