220 swift

screech

Has any one ever shot an 220 improved or heard of one. I looked at they're case specs and it sure looks like a case that could be used as an improved version. That shooting a 75gr. amax sounds like a coyote killing machine. Just wondering if they're has been one made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Has any one ever shot an 220 improved or heard of one. I looked at they're case specs and it sure looks like a case that could be used as an improved version. That shooting a 75gr. amax sounds like a coyote killing machine. Just wondering if they're has been one made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There are several version... the Ackley Improved, the "Wilson Arrow", and the .220 Weatherby come to mind. They shoot well if made well. Barrel life is short, but no shorter than any of the other BIG .224 centerfires.

I think theres a couple diff. versions as the above posted stated. It would seem with a fast twist and longer barrel, the swift would be an awesome coyote getter with the 75g vmax or the berger VLD bullets. I dont know how fast it would push them, but I know it would be fast enough for yotes out to 800 yards or so. I had a regular 220 swift and they sure were fun....

Several years ago I bought a used gun that was a .243 cal based on the improved swift case (240 Cobra I believe) and it was awsome , I have thought about building another on and Encore.
Anyway ,, yes the Swift case would benifit alot from the Ackley improvments especialy in the case life department , I'm not sure that their would be a whole lot of velocity gain unless your using a longe barrel and heavy for caliber bullets due to it being overbore capacity already but it sure makes for a cool looking case.
I personaly would use a 22-243 Improved first if I were doing a fast twist long range 22 due to the better brass available and the rimless case.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.