2016 Oregon Bull

elkhunt58

This year I hunted the Minam Unit in NE Oregon. I ended up taking this bull on opening afternoon. I was walking down a rise toward a wooded canyon. I saw a lone elk leg next to a tree and settled in to determine if it was a bull and a shooter. I saw antlers, but on opening day was fairly committed to a bigger bull. He gave me a good look at his antlers and I chose to shoot him. I sat down, waited till he stepped into a shooting window. I put my 300wsm Kimber Montana (Leupold VX2) on the back edge of his shoulder blade and squeezed off a shot. He dropped where he stood (192 yds paced). I was shooting Federal Premium 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip, I recovered the bullet under the skin on the off shoulder. No blood from the wound to speak of, plenty from his mouth. The recovered bullet mushroomed perfectly and retained 155 grs. or 86% of it's original weight. Here are some pictures; the first is of the general country, the elk, meat prep with my sons and the antlers I mounted myself, hanging in our family room. 2016 was a great season. (not sure how to rotate the pics... sorry)
IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

49946967838__ED5F78B8-8323-4982-A030-CFB8BE5DFAD1.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations! Nice Bull! Rotated a couple pics for everyone.

How far was the shot? Curious as I shoot a 300 WSM for elk too.

Attachments

• IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1967.jpg
    IMG_1967.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 93
Barrelnut, thanks for rotating the pics, I'm a rookie poster on this site, but a regular lurker. I added the yardage to the OP it was 192ish... paced. So it really doesn't qualify for a "long range hunter" post. My last 2 elk (Diamond Peak Wilderness) before this one were shot at 30yds and 30ft! So for me this was a country mile!

This year I hunted the Minam Unit in NE Oregon. I ended up taking this bull on opening afternoon. I was walking down a rise toward a wooded canyon. I saw a lone elk leg next to a tree and settled in to determine if it was a bull and a shooter. I saw antlers, but on opening day was fairly committed to a bigger bull. He gave me a good look at his antlers and I chose to shoot him. I sat down, waited till he stepped into a shooting window. I put my 300wsm Kimber Montana (Leupold VX2) on the back edge of his shoulder blade and squeezed off a shot. He dropped where he stood (192 yds paced). I was shooting Federal Premium 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip, I recovered the bullet under the skin on the off shoulder. No blood from the wound to speak of, plenty from his mouth. The recovered bullet mushroomed perfectly and retained 155 grs. or 86% of it's original weight. Here are some pictures; the first is of the general country, the elk, meat prep with my sons and the antlers I mounted myself, hanging in our family room. 2016 was a great season. (not sure how to rotate the pics... sorry)
View attachment 68842

View attachment 68843

View attachment 68844

View attachment 68845

View attachment 68846

Nice write up. How did you guys pack out your bull elk and how far in the bush did you kill him? Did you have any kind of physical fitness training before hand?

@remingtonman... truth told, this was the easiest elk I've ever killed. Normally I hunt wilderness here in Oregon (no motorized vehicles) and I hike in (up hill) about 2 miles. Bulls killed there are quartered and carried out on a pack frame a quarter at a time. We all hunt with a day pack strapped to a pack frame. Often my bother in law and son(s) will finish the days hunt, meet back at the kill and haul a quarter down hill to the truck. This bull was shot on private land, an 18,000 acres surrounded by public land. So we were able to drive to the edges of the area we hunted. I had to quarter this bull to get him in the truck, but we were able to get the truck close to the elk. As for conditioning... please don't ask. At 58 I just move slower and realize whatever happens it will take me longer to get where I am going than when I was younger. I have transitioned from Winchester Model 70's to Kimber Montana's in an effort to cut down on the weight I carry up the hill. For deer I carry a .308 Montana with a Ultralight 3x9x32 VX2 Leupold in Talley 1 piece ultra-light rings, no sling (it feels like I am carrying a 10/22). It's under 6 pounds. For elk a Kimber Montana in 300wsm and currently a VX2 3x9x40 in traditional rings and bases, but I am going to switch to a VX6 2x12 in ultralights. Maybe more info than anyone wants... sorry. Here's a glamour shot of my .308 this season in the Ochoco Mountains in Central Oregon.
IMG_1911-3.jpg

Last edited:
Great bull! I hunt OR as well. How did you get access to the private land? That soulnds like an amazing place and great opening day harvest!

Really nice bull. I spotted for a friend while he shot a similar bull just north of the border from where you shot yours. The bull was in some rugged country (Blue Mountains) and it took us 3 days to get the 321 pounds of meat up to where the horses could reach it. My friend had drawn a special bull hunt tag which are hard to get so I suspect that I won't be doing that again any time soon. They are fun to hunt though are they not?

Engineering101, when I was younger I hunted the Wenaha Tucannon wilderness, we drove in from the Washington side and back down into Oregon. Rugged for sure, we were young and broke and used burros to get in and out. I am guessing that's just South of your hunt.
Blades356mm, I am a pastor here in Eugene and a man in my church invited me to hunt this family property. You can imagine the requests he must get, but I never asked... for a number of years I didn't even know his family had this ranch. He invited me 4 years ago and I hunted 2nd season and didn't see a shooter bull. This year I was able to go during 1st season and found this bull. I am guessing it was a one and done deal for me, which in some ways makes it pretty special as I return to public lands again.

58, that's awesome! Yeah he has to get millions of requests. Well thanks for sharing and if you were a good steward (like i assume you were) then perhaps you'll get another chance to hunt the area in the future! All the best!

elkhunt58. Very nice bull! Congratulations!

I deer hunt in the Ochoco's also and have always carried my rifle in a ready position without a sling. It's one of the disciplines I employ to increase my odds when quick shots present themselves. Several years ago I severed my left bicep in a dirt bike accident so it is getting increasingly more painful to carry my rifle all day. Recently, I discovered the Safari Sling by Boonie Packer(made in Oregon?) which allows you to carry the rifle ready to shoot but the sling takes all the weight. I hunted all of deer and elk season this year carrying my rifle this way with very little fatigue. I really like it. Although not as quick, I may try the Kifaru gun bearer system for next elk season since that rifle is a bit heavier.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.