200 lb Immature Boar

Double Naught Spy

This was a neat little hunt. We arrived late because of getting stuck in traffic on the way down. As a result, we didn't get to check the various game cameras we had up on the property. We managed to check only the one camera where we had set up a feeder last week. The images showed that we had the remnant sounder (most adults gone from 2 or more sounders, but all their piglets together) had found the feeder and was making use of it most nights. So we set up immediately and waited.

This lone boar was all that showed up for the evening. I saw something large moving in the woods about 10 minutes before he showed up, but figured it was another buck deer. It wasn't. We figured he would go to the feeder. He didn't. He just kept on going. In fact, he was head down a trail that led to the other side of the property where we had hunted previous weeks. I managed to pop him just before he disappeared behind a stand of trees. He made it about 50 yards.

He was just a youngster despite his size. His tusks has just started to erupt from the gum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5obEcPC5E&feature=youtu.be

i think he drilled the nut sak for the finishing shot after he walked up on him.

Double Naught I know you are a fan of the Grendel. If you were going to buy another rifle what would it be and why? What kind of accuracy are you getting out of your present set up?

With the Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo, I can get 3/4" groups at 100 yards with a daylight crosshair scope. With the thermal scope, I can get 1-2" depending on the day I am having, the reticle dot not being quite as refined as a crosshair.

I have an Alexander Arms upper with a 20" Shilen barrel, purchased from AA. With the particular upper, I get very close to factory spec velocity from the Hornady ammo, just over 2500 fps.

The ammo gets comparable penetration to 150 gr. .308 ammo, but with less recoil.

So all in all, I am happy with the setup.

A buddy of mine has a Model 1 Sales 6.5 that also gets very good accuracy from it out of a 16" barrel that he really likes. He gets a bit less velocity, however.

As to brand of rifle, there are a few nice Grendel setups. I am not so much impressed with particular brands as I am performance. A lot of folks build their own grendels, saving quite a bit of money, and ending up with upgraded rifles. It all depends on the features that YOU want. That is the beauty of AR15s in general. They are Barbies for big boys.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.