2 Song Dogs & Two Hogs: Pulsar Trail XP38 LRF (Laser Range Finder)

Double Naught Spy

I think I could get used to having an integrated laser range finder in my hunting scope, particularly given the different places I hunt and the different sizes of animals I hunt. This was my fourth hunt with this new scope and sadly, my last for a while as I have to pass it on to another member of the team. With thermal (particularly) and night vision (to a lesser extent), seeing images in flat 2D causes a loss of depth of field and it can be hard to assess the distance of an object. For example, is that a 200+lb boar at 200 yards or a 100 lb boar at 100 yards? For me, with trying different thermal optics with different levels of native magnification, it can be particularly hard to know if the small target in the screen is really that far away, that close, or actually within normal range. Enter the integrated laser range finder. One press to activate and another press to range and targets can be quickly and efficiently ranged. This is pretty slick!

Here, the ranging was particularly useful on the coyotes that I shot as I was hunting in a field that I usually do not hunt and when I do hunt it, it is from a different area. So the few landmarks that I knew were all a different distance than what I was used to be considering. Ranging the coyotes helped to assure me that they were in fact within distances I was comfortable of shooting. To a lesser extent, it helped with the hogs as well, but I am much more familiar with their field.

This is the way I like for my hunts to go down, batting a 1000. Now, if they would all work out like this...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.