180 Hornady Eld-M and actual experience

squeeeeze

Got a couple boxes in and getting ready to start my build on a 28 Nosler. Curious of people's experience with these yet as far as accuracy and the claimed .796 bc. I know Hornady doesn't exaggerate their bc's and they've done extensive testing with their Doppler radar. Just comparing the Berger 195 at .755 bc to the 180 Eld-M at .796 I don't really see how it could be so high. Seems as though the 195 is as streamline as it could get and only at a .755

Want to shoot either the 195 or 180 Eld-M but curious who has experience with the 180's so far? What twist rate could I get away with for the 180? Hornady says 1:8 but I'll be at 3,000'+ typically and would rather keep the pressure down if possible. Thinking a Proof 1:8.44" twist. Stability calc. Says it will be fine.

I plan on using H1000 or Retumbo due to the temp insensitivity and located in AZ where is gets hot. Don't care to use the RL due to it's sensitivity. Have experienced that in the heat down here and don't care to again.

Last edited:
The BC of these 2 bullets is about the same when you compare them more closely. The numbers change quite a bit depending on velocity and twist rate so be sure to compare apples to apples.

Ballistic Coefficient - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

7mm 195gr Extreme Outer Limits Elite Hunter | Berger Bullets

Both have great BCs. To me the more important factor is which bullet shoots the best in your gun. Another consideration is muzzle velocity, and the ability to find an accuracy node with good velocity. Recoil is another thing. In a carry gun without a muzzle brake I'd be leaning toward the 180s.

I'm having a similar dilemma in my 338-378. The Berger 300 grain Hybrids and the Hornady 285 ELD-M bullets both have very similar BCs. I'm trying both. So far they are shooting about the same for accuracy but the Hornady kicks a little less and gives me another 50 fps. My testing isn't done yet but the Hornady has a slight lead at this point.

Thank you for the links! I didn't catch the expanded BC values for the ELD-M, looks like they publish the high end, not the average like Berger so that makes a lot more sense. I do use the G7 coefficient in shooter, just easier for me to understand G1 when comparing bullets like it's easier for me to understand MOA VS Mil.

I will have a brake or suppressor on so bullet weight for recoil isn't an issue. I've got a few loaded up in my 7Wsm with a 1:9 and will see how they do a little later this afternoon.

I've spent a fair amount of time with the 180 eldm in 7 saum's with 8t, 9t, and now working on a 8.5 and prefer the 9 but still breaking in the 8.5 barrel. Started load development at 600 yards with the 8t, had what looked like a decent load with RL 26 running at 3010 FPS but shot them on paper at a 1000 yards had a lot vertical. Ended up at 2940 to get them round. It shoots really good there out to 1640. The 9t barrel is running 3060 fps with RL26 and shot well on paper at 1200 yards. I shot the 180 vld at the same speed and poi was really close at 1200 so I'm not buying the .796 BC. I'm using .360 G7 on my chart to get my scope min to match up. So far with the 8.5 it looks like its going to shoot best just under 3000 fps. It also opens up at higher speeds?? Don't know why the faster twist wont shoot as good with higher velocities with the ELDM? The 9t works good with 180 Bergers too and have had the 195's shoot very good to 2000 yards from the same barrel so I think their stabilizing ok. I'm shooting at 4600 plus feet in elevation.
Lonnie

28 Nosler 8T saami chamber. 3109 FPS with the 180 eldm. Used .351 for my 500 to 1100 yard shot. Took bull at 602 yards

195 3012 FPS. The 755 B.C. was good to 1100 Yards

Also shot the 180 Eldm out of 9.5T 7mm mag. 3% loss of B.C.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.