165gr.Nosler Accubond

Jim Hundley

Just bought a box of these new Noslers and planning to load a few.I have a very good load for the 168 Barnes TSX using H-1000.I was wondering if I could just substitute the 165 Accubond and try the same load,everything else the same:grs.of powder,primer,brass.The only thing changing would be the bullet and OAL.I know that I should back off and work up when changing any component.Just hoping that I might get around the same velocity or slightly higher with the 165.
I have the following on hand:H-4831sc,Ramshot Hunter,H-1000,Ramshot Magnum,RL-22.Do any of these look promising to start with?
I have run some posibilities through Quick Load,but the new Accubond is not listed in this weight.
Although,the 168TSX combo has been a winner,I was hoping or thinking a softer bullet might be better for our small Texas whitetails.
Thanks for any ideas.
Jimmy

The caliber you are using would be helpful. If it is a 308 or 30-06, I would imagine the load would be safe enough to switch; however, the TSX 'allows' the loader to increase the charge a grain or two because of the decrease bearing surface. Seeing how the bullet design is far from similar, I would drop the load about 3 gr and load up 0.3 gr increments. Then you can shoot a little ladder test and see what load will work for you.

My load for the 165s in 300 WM is 78 gr IMR 4831. It runs on the hot side with velocities averaging 3221 fps in my Sako. I have loaded up to 83 gr H1000 with 175s and 77.5 gr RL 22 with 175s also. What load were you using with the TSXs?

I have been loading 83 grs.of H-1000 and the 168 TSX.Velocity is @3195 fps.,accuracy runs .4" to .7" (depending on my shooting) and the ES and SD are very low and consistant(single digit SD's).Hoping to duplicate with the Accubond.The TSX is great,but I think a bullet such as the Accubond might open up better on the 120lb. bucks here on the lease.
Thanks,
Jimmy

the a-max would be a good choice for your small deer.i know a couple of fellows that get great accuracy and killing performance with the 178's. they also make a couple of smaller weights in the 30 cal.

I have shot deer with the Sierra 165 gr BTHPs with my 30-06. They are only loaded to 2678 fps, but they put a big hole out the other side. I basically gutted a yote with the same load about 8 years ago. Bullet impacted a front shoulder and exited about 2 inches behind his liver. The yote had ingested about 1/2 of his intestines, and was basically bent over backwards by the time I got there. It looked like the bullet may have broken his back too by the way he was laying.

Loaded up to 300 WM lvls, I am not sure they would be good for your freezer, but they do shoot nicely out of mine. IMR 4831 gets me about 0.6" groups consistently, but I have not had a chance to take any critters with that combo yet. Last trip to the deer lease I saw a nice boar that seemed to be begging me to find out.

Jimmy, I wouldn't worry too much about quick load. I find it to overstate pressure. I heard it is designed that way so the developer of the program won't get sued if someone hurts themselves.

I would start 3 grains off like sewwhat said with the H1000 and work up from there. I personally don't think you will get too hot a load at 83, but I don't know anything about your rifle.

I think you will like the accubonds they are a great bullet and the H1000 is very temp stable.

Good Luck!

Has anyone used the H1000 for the 300wsm. I am considering using it for the 165 nosler accubond in mine with a 28" barrel. Thanks

will not go into the boring details,but the H-1000 @ 83 grs. only clocked at 3163.Need to bump it up some to get to 3200.Accuracy was about 3/4" maybe better with some TLC.Tried H-4831sc max load from the book for 3160 and about the same accuracy.Had some Ramshot Hunter on hand so worked up to what I consider max in my rifle and the velocity was 3212 fps the group was a .242".I think that I like it!Will load up more and retest to see if that group was a fluke.The extreme spread was 13 fps with a sd of 6 fps.Quarter inch groups could be habit forming.I hope that it is true that Hunter is insensitive to cold.Does anyone know if that is a fact?
Jimmy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Retested the 165 Accubond and Hunter yesterday fireforming brass.Shot six three shot groups.The two best groups were .317" and .581".The other four groups had two holes touching or through the same hole and the 3rd shot would open the group to 1".I contribute this to bad trigger control and/or flinching.I was tight as a knot,trying too hard to put the 3rd shot into the other two.I seem to shoot best with a "come what may" attitude and not pressing.I guess that you could call this a classic "Choke"!!!Anyway seems to be a very accurate load.3200-3228 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts