110grs v-max/125 grs bal tip

assasin-99

i am going to by me a semi longrange hunting rifle for deer and fox.
the plan is to use 110 grs v-max and 125 grs ballistic tip for fox killing.
should i choose 308 win or 30-06?
the rifle is going to be a rem 700 adl or sps that i am going to modify.

thanks Philip

where's wildcat? isn't he the one that was shooting the 125's around 4k? or did he end up with a 6-284. can't remember...he had more versions of a gun build than John Kerry did of his voting record!

tell us how far you want to shoot and if you want the hides. if you want the hides, you'll have to go over to "coyotegods.com"

assistance from a distance....i like that.

never shot any 110 v-maxs in my 308 or 30-06.
but i have played with speers 30 cal. tnt 125 hp it''ll match noslers .
i'd go 308 , but there aint going to bee much fox left grins.
good luck what ever you do!
regards jjmp

ok i called the "chick" at the police office so now i got permit to bye one 223rem and a 308:)

I live in Norway so I am going to blast away foxes and crows. what is the max distance for the 125 grs ballistiv tip and 110 grs v-max 300 yards?
scope ist going to be a 6-24x40 bushnell elite 4200 mildot.

now the rifle is purchased a howa 1500 havybarrel ss in 308.
next week I am going to order a scope from usa the plan was a bushnell elite 4200 6-24x50 sf mildot. i am thinking of ordering it from theopticzone.com is that a serious shop?

thanks, bullets are also ordered:D 110 grs v-max and 100 gr lapua hp cut

A99, my friend uses a 308 with 110grn V-max's for his long range varmin and coyote hunting.

He uses a Remington 700 VLD with a 26" barrel. He pushes the 110grn V-max out of his 26" barrel at 3100fps. His favorite load consists of Norma 308 brass, 110grn V-max, 52grns Winchester 748, and Federal Match primers.
This load is very accurate and destructive on varmints out to 500 yards.

He has tried the 125grn BT, however, he has not had success with this bullet out of his rifle.

Dave Wilson made a comment about me shooting the 125grn BT at 4000fps. He is right, I have shot this bullet at a velocity of 4000fps. However, the rifle is specifically designed around the 110grn V-Max and 125grn BT.

The rifle is called a 300 Varminter, built by Richard Franklin, and is designed around the 300 WSM cartridge. The rifle is designed around a Nesika Action, 1-15 twist Bartlien Barrel, and Norma 300 WSM Brass in order to obtain this type of performance. The 300 Varminter will shoot the 125grn BT at 4000+fps and the 110 V-Max at 4100+fps very accurately out to 800 yards. The 300 Varminter is an awesome set up for it's intended purposes. A factory 300 WSM will NEVER obtain these velocities, I want to make that clear.

I think you will be very happy with a 308 and 110grn V-Max combo. Good luck.

ok can i build my 308 howa to a 300 wsm varminter, and use the barrel i have now. what kind of velocities can i get with a standard action

ok can i build my 308 howa to a 300 wsm varminter, and use the barrel i have now. what kind of velocities can i get with a standard action

I beleive you will get significantly less barrel life out of the 300wsm verses the 308. It all depends on what you want to do with the rifle. You may want to look into a 260 rem or something that would be a little better suited to shooting lighter bullets.

assasin-99, Are you talking about having the 308 Recambered to a 300 WSM and bolt face opened up? If so you are going to have problems keeping the 110 V-MAX together with the factory twist rate of most likely 1 and 10. In a 300 Win Mag a friend pushes the 110s up to 3850-3900 before they turn into gray dust. Now if you are sold on the 110grn you can use the Hornday Varmint 110grn Sp. I have pushed it over 4K in the Rummie with the factory 1 & 10 twist barrel. Now you may ask why, that would be for massive terminal destruction @ shorter ranges. BTW if you go with the 125 Nosler you will be hard pressed to get that one to come apart in your 1 & 10. They have a much stronger jacket than the V-Max.

Last edited:
A99, NO, you can not build a 300 Varminter with the parts you have.

You need to have a Custom Action like Nesika or BAT and custom 30" barrel with a 1-15 twist. The rifle is chambered with a Match Chamber for Norma 300 WSM Brass and is in a tightneck configuration. It is very specialized set up. However, if you want to shoot other bullets, this is not the set up you want.

I am having a 300 Varminter built becuase it suits my needs which consists of varminting out to around 800 yards, so I am not concened about the high BC bullets. I want more speed and explosive power for the red mist affect and the 300 Varminter is the set up for just that.

Once again, the 300 Varminter is a specialized set up and has to be built with a custom action and 1-15 twist barrel in order to obtain this type of performance.

If you build the 300 Varminter around a factory action and a custom 30", 1-15 twist barrel, you might be able to run the 110grn and 125grn bullets at around 3700fps to 3800.

Read the article about the 300 Varminter on 6mmBR.COM. The article is called "Franklins 300 Varminter is a Big Hit with Varmint Hunters". You can also get on Richards web page under Richards Custom rifles. Richard specializes in high velocity long range varmint rigs.

Good luck with your set up.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.