zeiss scopes

dzander

see attached file.

Target shot at 100 yards.ZEISS 5X25 HD5 ON A .308.
Always aimed at the same point, Florissant bullseye. Dialed up elevation to see if Point of Impact moved as I dialed to scope. It didn't. I want to laser range find a target, use a ballistic table and dial up elevation accordingly. This is the second Zeiss scope I've tried.
The first Scope was a conquest 4.5x14. It was worse result than the 5x25 HD5.
COMMENTS?

Attachments

• 5x25 scope test.pdf
    271.8 KB · Views: 202
How much time between shots? What were the conditions and load you are shooting?
We need some more particulars. I notice the horizontal gets worse the greater the elevation.

Do you have a level on your firearm. You also need a level line on your tall target to eliminate deviations at bench and target.

Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Wf0Cuwwi8

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Last edited:
1 minute between shots, 43.4 grains of Varget, normally groups within .500".
168grain Berger VLD hunting Bullet. Lapua Brass, Federal 210M primer. Runs at 2706 FPS from my Savage Model 10.
It was windy when I shot this target. It was Swirling and changing directions.
Thanks for the video of the tall target. I don't have a level on my scope, and I didn't have a target with the vertical line.
Found it interesting in the video that it was only shot at 30 MOA. So the assumption is if the scope is on at 30 MOA Its correct in between the zero and 30 MOA?
My Idea was zero my gun at a given yardage, probably 300 yards. Then Laser my target, use a ballistic table with a 300 yard zero, and dial my scope based on the table. I'm not shooting out to 1000 yards or anything, maybe 550 yards max and in from there. Will be hunting mule deer and antelope in Montana this fall.
Since the scope doesn't track exactly right I guess I could shoot at targets at say 25 yard increments above and below the 300 yard zero and record the turret settings.
I am new to this , it seems the more i look around it's fairly common problem that scopes don't move exactly the same amount as there dialed. I don't really understand why this is the case. I assume there is a screw in the scope with a precision thread on it and I would have thought this wouldn't be so difficult. There obviously more to these scopes than I understand. I can buy a level, sure up a target and try again.
And I can get to the range when there is less windy conditions.
Thanks
Dave Z

I don't know that scope but is there any chance it is measured in metric. Instead of quarter inch at 100yds. It is 1cm at 100 meters. It was not exact but really not that bad. As was mentioned get your scope leveled to rifle. You can do it yourself with a level level level kit you can buy at Cabelas. Also are you sure you were shooting 100yds because you mentioned wanting to laser range distances.

see attached file.

Target shot at 100 yards.ZEISS 5X25 HD5 ON A .308.
Always aimed at the same point, Florissant bullseye. Dialed up elevation to see if Point of Impact moved as I dialed to scope. It didn't. I want to laser range find a target, use a ballistic table and dial up elevation accordingly. This is the second Zeiss scope I've tried.
The first Scope was a conquest 4.5x14. It was worse result than the 5x25 HD5.
COMMENTS?

Something here that I dont understand??? You aim at the little bullseye and you hit it...with several shots. THEN you change elevation on the scope and the bullets are ABOVE your first shots...and as you keep increasing the elevation in the scope......the bullet impacts keep going higher and higher.??
What is it you dont get?

Zeiss claims this is a 1/4 INCH scope. Click adjustment should be .25" per click at a 100 yards

1/4 inch scope should move .25" per click at a 100 yards if click adjustment is accurate. Yours is moving approx .31473" per click. Although frustrating not unusual for any scope.

I do just what you have done here and adjust my ballistics app or program base on actual click value which you have pretty much accomplished already........

Take it down town and apply the math, bet it is spot on! Or send it back to see if click corrections need repaired in the scope to be closer to actual 1 inch values.

4 clicks on your scope is actually moving 1.259" at 100 yards instead of 1 inch.

14 dial inches of adjustment times 1.259" would equal just what you saw on target, or 17.626 inches.............

I always just make one full dial turn up back to zero and measure the distance of poi change and divide by the dial inches in this case and it will tell you exactly how much the scope is moving per dial inch.

Same method if scope is 1/4 MOA, but numbers used are different, 1/4 moa scope should move 1.047" or .26175" per click.......

IMO it is not a big deal, what is a big deal is for you to know how much it is actually moving per click......... AND is repeatable.

Last edited:
Scope is graduated 1/4" moa/per click.

If you look at the target the point of impact doesn't jive with the the amount of adjustment dialed in, i.e. 4 moa should move bullet 4", 8 moa should move 8" etc. It doesn't. So lets say I range a target at 450 yards, my gun is sighted in dead zero at 300 yards. at 450 yards the bullet will drop 22.0" so i need to dial up 4.7 moa on the scope.
that would make the point of impact correct at the 450 yards. But because the scope does actually move the 4.7 moa, it moves greater, I shoot over the target.

Adjustment per Click at 100yd = 0.25 inch according to Zeiss website on this particular scope NOT moa. http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...nquest-hd5-riflescopes.html#models#position-4

AND YES the scope is over adjusting and always will. YOUR scope is moving .31473" per CLICK at a 100 yards NOT the advertised .25".

With YOUR scope at 450 yards each click is 1.4164 inches or 4 clicks is 5.66 inches (instead of 4.5") per dial minute. If drop is 22 inches you correct 3.88 dial inches not 4.7...........

1.259" times 4.5 (450 yards) = 5.66" then divide drop 22" by value of 5.66 equals 3.88 dial inches or in this case 3.88 times 4 equal 15 clicks.

yes Mark A , I read it, I was replying to Sully2 with my last comment.
I understand what you are saying, thanks a lot I get it.

Sorry, sure didn't intend to be condescending but having re read my post it came off that way, just trying to help.

Mark A
No problem , I appreciate your answer a lot. I'm using a program called shooter, Is there a program that allows you to dial in the actual movement per click so you don't have to do the math every time? I do appreciate the help

I found this in the shooter manual

Elevation Correction - This is used to correct for scope turret clicks that aren't quite what they say they are. If you've come to realize your .25MOA per-click scope is actually .23MOA per-click then you'd put a correction factor of 1.08695652 (.25/.23) because you actually need to adjust more as you aren't quite getting a full quarter MOA per click. So say your elevation solution for a 1000yd shot is 28MOA and you have the correction factor of 1.08695652. Shooter will multiply 28 by 1.08695652 to give you 30.4MOA. So even though the real solution is 28, you'd dial 30.4MOA because your scope only adjusts .23MOA rather than .25MOA per-click. An asterisk (*) will be placed next to the angular unit in the Solution and Trajectory Table screens when using these inputs to denote that the given value is corrected and not the actual calculated correction. Inaccurate click adjustments are more common than you may think. Don't take this for granted. To effectively disable this feature, leave the input set to 1.0

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.