Your most interesting animal encounter

I have another example of poor timing.

I was in the Marine Corps Reserve, Det. Fourth Force Reconnaissance, Reno Nevada and the Falklands war kicked off and My company was mobilized and sent to Camp Pendleton,CA.

At Pendleton, we would train day in and day out to get us ready to go when needed.

Anyway, we usually did all of our work during the dark. One night, we went out on a snoop and poop mission. So, we're off like a prom dress and things went well for the first couple checkpoints and now we needed to move up a narrow ravine to get to the place we were going to sit for a while.

I was point and we are moving up the ravine, we try to keep 5 meters between us so the bad guy has a harder time blowing us up. Anyway, the ravine takes an awkward angle to the right, uphill.

I peeked around the corner and didn't see anything too worrisome so I decided to carry on.

Once I was around the corner, by myself, I realized there was something very large and black in front of me so I just froze and hoped I haven't been compromised. I learned something about Camp Pendleton that night.

Frozen there and crapping myself trying to figure out what the heck I was seeing the huge, black mass that was making hair raising breathing sounds and smelled pretty bad just stood there. I figured we should back out and use our second route that we have already noted. We live and we go in for our debriefing. We were very professional and turned over all the sightings and traffic we had seen. I couldn't help myself and asked the Major what the heck we ran into that night. He started laughing and called in one of his clan and told me to tell the other officer what we had run into. I showed him where on the map we were and told him what I'd seen and then the Major who was still laughing pretty much yelled at the other officer "See, I told you there are Buffalo here!"

That's one of the things, I feel, we should have been told about.

After my time in the usmc I took some time to decompress and back packed for a few months across the country. I was in the wilderness portion of craters of the moon one night. I set up camp on the side of a crater by a single small pine tree. After 20 minutes of setting up camp maybe 10 feet from the tree a juvenile wolf shot out from under the tree at me, I could of touched him when he first came out at me. He stops 10 feet feet from me and we have a stare down and he trots off. He sat under that tree and did make a sound the whole time. Needless to say he caught me off guard. After that I climbed to the top of the crater and was watching the sunset. As I'm sitting there I hear screaming and look up the ridge and some guy who I had no idea was camped by me is running down the ridge towards me... I camped in the middle of nowhere for a reason. I didn't want to talk to anyone... as he gets to me he's yelling did you see it. I had no idea what he's talking about. He said he watched a mountain lion stalk up the back side of the crater and was 10 feet behind me ready to pounce me. I never had a clue. That guy saved me a world of hurt.

Last edited:
That buffalo tale makes me think back to one of my scariest encounters. It was fall, during the rut, and I was doing one of my regularly scheduled half-mile long wildlife surveys on a federal property. It was in a restricted area so no hunting allowed, and there were some very large mule deer bucks that lived there. Most of the deer would just look at me and go "oh, it's that biologist again" and go back to feeding or whatever.

I was in the bottom of a flowing creek with some fair sized cottonwoods at the bottom and coyote willow brush pockets along the creek. The slope on the north side was very steep, open grass, and topped out at a public road, then continued into flat prairie. As I walked upstream, a very large mule deer buck stalked down that slope in front of me. I was moving along, and was sure he saw me. But he did not care that I was there. He crossed the creek and stopped in the top of a broken off tree, and stood there waiting on me. When I was at 25 yards or so he laid his ears back and went from gray to nearly black with every hair on end. I am sure he knew I was a human. Holy deer scat!!!

I had one of those aluminum folding clipboards (a mere 2 layers of metal) that I transferred to a place across my chest, and grabbed my big heavy radio as my only possible weapon, spreading my outer shirt out to look bigger. I immediately crossed the creek and climbed to higher ground at greater distance from him. At that point I was talking in a low, but kind of growly voice. Seeing he wasn't intimidating me enough and I was now in a superior elevation, he called it a draw and stalked off up the hill. His hair was on end the entire time, even when I lost sight of him in the brush. Had he decided to take on the little human whom he outweighed by probably 140 pounds, he likely would have killed me. Those antlers were plenty long enough to come out my back. And I had no illusions about what those mule deer antlers can do, having necropsied bucks killed by other bucks.

I guessed he must have just been in a fight with another buck and was still all hopped up with adrenaline. I had other dangerous close encounters with those big deer, but that was undoubtedly the most risky one.

I had no idea that badgers spent much time above treeline, but when I had a bighorn sheep tag, and basically lived in my sheep area for 3 weeks, I got to know most of the residents. We had a badger that would regularly commute down a certain drainage, where there was water, every evening around 5:00 PM. It had a very regular schedule. The drainage was one of few water sources that year, deriving water from a snowfield. Most of the water up there that season was only available in the afternoon after sufficient melting during the day. This was up in alpine tundra at about 13,000 feet and more. Must have been a large enough population of some species of vole to provide enough prey. I doubt it was subsisting on ptarmigan.

A couple hunters spooked a band of elk down a dry wash toward me on a Az. elk hunt. The cows in front saw me and went up the side, but two bulls practically ran over me before stopping a few yards in front. Last week we were camped at the Painted Rock Petroglyph site and had a grey fox visit us for about 30 minutes.

Attachments

• 47635D8C-9AD7-4A43-B1A7-F71D1B28E72B.jpeg
    47635D8C-9AD7-4A43-B1A7-F71D1B28E72B.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 24
Forgot about this one....
Out in a neighbors field cutting thistles with a machete..pushed the thistles over and looked down just I time to see a little pink a--hole pointing up at me....
If you remember the song about Ethel...
"It was too late"......got me good...
Walked down the road to the house..a couple of neighborhood ladies out walking for exercise passed me....yep..they got a grand whiff of freshly sprayed skunk oil.....got to the house and yelled for Mom to send me out the Dawn dishwasher soap...she about croaked when she smelled me....she also brought out some tomato paste......between the 2 it cut the oil and killed the smell....or did it....maybe thats why I don't have a girlfriend.........

This thread has turned a little bit skunky. And that really stinks. Lol. My skunk story involves our dog, Buddy. Last night in elk camp, opened the door of our camper about 9pm to take him out for his walk before bed time. He spied or smelled a skunk and was off before I new what was happening (yes I'm a little slow). He caught up with the skunk and the skunk got him full bore. The dog is our baby, and I will leave it at that, except to say. It wasn't a good night. 😕

Forgot about this one....
Out in a neighbors field cutting thistles with a machete..pushed the thistles over and looked down just I time to see a little pink a--hole pointing up at me....
If you remember the song about Ethel...
"It was too late"......got me good...
Walked down the road to the house..a couple of neighborhood ladies out walking for exercise passed me....yep..they got a grand whiff of freshly sprayed skunk oil.....got to the house and yelled for Mom to send me out the Dawn dishwasher soap...she about croaked when she smelled me....she also brought out some tomato paste......between the 2 it cut the oil and killed the smell....or did it....maybe thats why I don't have a girlfriend.........
😧Going to have to be more careful chopping thistles this summer. Yeek!!

Have been lucky so far. Knock on wood. Have avoided live trapping one. But figure it will happen.

Know a guy who actually stepped on one. It sprayed, but mostly the ground. I think he had to replace his boots.