Your most interesting animal encounter

I made a little yard art deer with glass doorknob eyes and a burlap bag for a body .
See pic👇 .
So a week later I was in the shop and looked out the window and a fork
E38F0575-1312-4FBF-85FE-78945112AAD7.jpeg
n horn was sneaking up on my little fake deer, when it got 2 feet from the fake one ,it made a charge at it with its head down , then stopped.
When the fork n horn realized that my little fake one was going to stand it's ground , it turned tail and ran for parts unknown.

I got to witness turkey fight club. They were making so much noise that I was able to sneak up on a ridge overlooking a saddle that they were collected in. I don't know how many turkeys were there but I know it was at least 50. They formed a circle and in the circle were 2 gobblers fighting. All the ones on the outside of the circle were excitedly chirping and clucking, basically going nuts and egging the fighters on.
I saw something very simular....but it was in an open pasture..and blacktailed deer...
2 fighting..one run away..another run in..one run away..another run in...went on for quite awhile..til they noticed me belly crawling towards them.....with my bow..
Then they split in all directions....

View attachment 346972
After an extremely exhausting day and packing some elk remnants out of one of the nastiest places, I ran into this PO'ed 1500-2000 lb free ranging bull almost at the trailhead. I was in a ravine with nowhere to go and I was so exhausted I couldn't have done crap to get away. So I held my .338 RUM at the ready in one hand and filmed him with my phone with the other. Thought I was gonna have to shoot him and wanted proof of self defense. He charged from about 30 meters away and I threw the phone down and fired a warning shot over the bow. He stopped at about 10 yards before I had to put one in his face. Then we had a staring contest for a bit and he turned and headed away, stopping every so often to look me over. When I got to the trailhead and loaded my ATV, he stood watching from a short distance away and then chased me as I drove off.
After seeing how the .338 Hammer bullet I loaded had performed I think it would have been a good choice, but probably not the publicity RockyMtnMT would want.😂

Lol, I've had a couple of those run ins. Last one was with a cow and her calf, we ended up between them in a trail in thick brush, we had seen her but not the calf, when she snorted at us and stomped het foot we saw her calf, she was not happy at all. She followed us for about 20 yards.

I have had several weird encounters with wildlife.

A few highlights:

Scariest: back in the early 80s, me and my cousin were squirrel hunting on some municipal land and were ran down by a neighbor's buffalo. Supposedly a pet, but had gone mad. Broke down the fence, attacked a vehicle on the county road, attacked another neighbor's bull and killed it and then found us. Luckily we were right next to the river separating the municipal land and our grandfather's, we chunked shotguns and swam for it. The sheriff put it down later that afternoon.

Early 90s found what I believed to be lion tracks in my dad's garden. We called the game warden and they came took plaster casts of the tracks. Tried telling us it was a bobcat, tracks were nearly as long and wide as a dollar bill. Few days later during the opening of bow season, noticed the deer were extremely spooked and witnessed what I thought was a lion chasing a buck just across the river from our property. Called the GW again and reported what I thought I saw. He came out and repeatedly told me and my dad there were no mountain lions in the area. But we drove down to where I was hunting to show him the area across the river anyhow. When we walked up to the river bank, not 40yds across and slightly up river was a lion drinking, it jumped up the 10' to 12' foot of river bank and disappeared. It couldn't have been more than a second, but he turned to me and asked "You saw that, right?" We and neighbors have had chance encounters with them over the past decades since, usually animals killed, tracks, screams in the dark while duck hunting or heading to the deer blind and my uncle even caught one on his game camera, but it has been rare.

Sitting in my deer blind in the late 90s I saw something that I couldn't identify. Dark bodied critters with long tails with rings, turned out that it was ring tailed cats. Called my cousin who at the time was dating a biologist. I told him and Shelly what I was seeing and she told me what they were. She came out and set up cameras and caught images of them. They eventually created rock piles with "pipe" dens in them. Then we had a series of floods over a couple of months and they disappeared.

Then there was this guy, a coatamundi. Apparently the neighbors, both from old Mexico, had him as a pet. They just abandoned their property and animals during Covid lockdowns. He showed up at our place and kept trying to get in the chicken coop. I went to investigate one afternoon what all the racket was about and found this guy. Went to grab the shotgun but before I could he raised up on his hind legs and pulled a come at me Bro approach, needless to say, he should have brought a pistol to the fist fight. Weird thing was, the gun fire didn't deter him. I thought it was rabid otherwise I wouldn't have shot it, especially if I had known it used to be a pet.

1A6A02F7-B284-4166-A01D-51EF5A1A2838.png
8FC9DF0B-4016-4756-B4DF-7088959F6E80.png

There are other weird encounters, but those are the most memorable.

Fishing for spring browns off piers in Oswego, NY with cousin. We were using alewives set on bottom. His cast never hit the water since a sea gull grabbed his flying alewife mid air. Talk about squawking! The bird too!🤣. It was amazing how much line it took out since we were using light spinning gear and 6 lbs mono. He finally got it in and it was one nasty p'o'ed bird! Threw a jacket over and it wasn't easy to get hook out but he did. Pulled jacket and it went after cousin!! Laughing as he ran down the pierhead away!! After that, we would scan for air cover and then let loose with cast!

I have had numerous close passes by deer and elk. But the only one I got on video was a pair of cow elk that walked within 4-10' of three of us (my daughter on my right at 4' my cousin on my left at 10', and myself in the middle at 7') just sitting on an open slope. Kind of a long video, but I had spotted elk bedded, and we hunkered down in case one was a bull....which they were not. We sat for 30 minutes before they got up and started up the ridge towards us....

Last edited:
Years back had 4 bulls coming threw this far back basin in eve. Was a wallow in steep canyon and I set up above,back against a tree. Towards eve the bulls are bugling there way in. I see one at around 500 moving threw mature lodgepole. I have my bow leaned against tree, I hear branch snap right behind me,slowly turn my head and Im looking up at a bulls nose 5 yrds from me. I snatched my bow ands spun around,bull blew out but stopped at around 50 yrds. This year I was in thicket and a bull,6x6 went by at 45 yrds, I kicked back and had a cliff bar after it passed,same thing,branch broke and it was standing downwind of me and found me at 15 yrds.Took off like a quarter horse.

I have had numerous close passes by deer and elk. But the only one I got on video was a pair of cow elk that walked within 4-10' of three of us (my daughter on my right at 4' my cousin on my left at 10', and myself in the middle at 7') just sitting on an open slope. Kind of a long video, but I had spotted elk bedded, and we hunkered down in case one was a bull....which they were not. We sat for 30 minutes before they got up and started up the ridge towards us....

Nice!! you won that staring contest.

I went up into a talus slope where the pikas lived to try to get photos. As I sat with them and let them get used to me, one eventually came up and licked the salt on my pack waistbelt. It finally scooted under my knee as I sat cross-legged, tugging on my bootlace.

I chased down (walking to tire her, not running) a wild antelope doe that had a dead fawn stuck breach birth, and pulled the fawn to save the doe's life.

Watched a big mule deer buck, besotted in rut, following a hot doe across a highway. She hopped over a guardrail, he jumped but tripped on the guardrail falling flat on his back in the road before struggling to his feet and continuing on her path.

Stepped on a sleeping rattlesnake's head while walking in knee deep snowberry brush.

Picked up a tiny fawn, that lay in my arms like a carved statue, to move it out of a construction site.

Watched a coyote I had just walked up on that was sound asleep under a grass clump bolt off at high speed with his head cranked around backwards looking at me. About 10 yards into his dash he tripped on something and did a complete somersault.

Walking fast through high grass, I stepped over a well camouflaged mallard nest. The hen came up between my feet and slapped me in the face with a wing.

Found a litter of roly-poly coyote pups playing near a den entrance like a bunch of dog puppies and watched until one of them noticed me. They all magically morphed into wild and wily coyotes in an instant and vanished.

The gray fox that used to follow me around my full size foam target course as I shot my bow.

There are several others.

Currently drinking coffee and looking out the window. Two wood ducks just tried landing in the trees just outside my window. One was successful and the other did not quite make it. A hawk is hunting them on my pond just down the hill from my window. This has been going on for the last couple weeks.

Sometimes when I really think about it, there was a good chance of being kitty poo.
None of that crossed my mind at the time, I was pretty stoked!

Elk hunting at the ranch....no elk..but I saw a really nice muley buck following a doe.....i snuck down the ridge to the small ridge they were heading up...does walked by at about 10 yards...buck swung wide..eyes on the doe....he walked with in 5 yards of me...never realizing I was there..just followed the doe up the ridge I had just come down......about 170" buck...no camera.....