Votes: 452 31.6%
  • 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 189 13.2%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 64 4.5%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 110 7.7%

• Total voters
I agree with what you are saying. I do a lot of technical reading and keep up on the science.

The arrows I shoot out of my recurve and compound bow weigh in at 560 grains. That's normal to lite for a traditional hunter but almost unheard of for a compound shooter. My arrow tips are 100 grain brass inserts and a 150 grain broadhead.

I shoot bullet holes when paper tuned.

I am fortunate enough to have a 100 yard archery range in my back yard. I shoot every day weather permitting out to the 100 yard mark. I realize distance magnifies flaws and this improves shooting form.

Thanks for your comments

My longest bow kill was about 60 yards on a whitetail doe, but once I saw my little brother kill a doe with about a 200 yard shot, we were walking through a field and saw a cople doe's on the hill side on the far edge of the field, My brother aimed up in the air and let one fly. We were watching the arrow for what felt like 30 seconds when I said its gonna hit that doe, sure enough it nailed it, the doe ran about 50 yards and was done. That was the wildest shot I have ever seen in my life, but it was completely luck.

What was your longest killing shot on a big game animal?
Well I personally have taken antelope at 110 yards, elk I have taken at100 yards, Guy's might think that I am lying but that's o.k.I have proven to some of these skeptics by shooting targets at120- 130 yards. (NO STRING SIGHTS) I have shot a bow for 30 years and have found ways to increase arrow flight, Will an arrow penetrate at these yardages YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT. Is it ethical, well that depends on the hunter and his knowledge and ability in handling archery equipment, AIM SMALL MISS SMALL High wind shots at this range NO WAY!!!!!! you want all of that kinetic energy spent in PERFECT ARROW FLIGHT any cross wind can cause your arrow to loose foot pounds and not to mention a bad shot. So these long range kills with a bow also require knowledge in your situation.If you doubt leave it out, but yes it can be done.

I shot a whitail buck trooting quite fast at 37 yds with a 65# bighorn recurve bow.I got him in the lungs but he still ran a hundred yds on adreniline. I also got a real nice 8 pointer running full bore and led him and double lunged him at about 30 yds with the same bow.They are both trophys to me because they were running and I had a witness on the 37 yd shot.

Got a couple of hogs at 61 & 63. My longest whitetail is at 57 yards. I bought a Bowtech Destroyer recently and I am more comfortable shooting farther now. We are shooting them pretty accurately at 90 yards.

not big game but a few years ago i took the head off of a blackbird with a judo tip at 68 yards lol. my dad fell over laughing when my mom starting gagging.

In my area finding a deer with a bandana on it's neck means that it is a pet deer and you are not supposed to shoot it. How else could someone tie a bandana on it's neck in the first place.
They are not as rare as you might think.

I hit a 3-d target of an elk in the 8 ring at 325yds once i was the only one to hit it and i only got it once i got a pic to prove it if you guys want it... other than that i got a muley at 39.

Fall 2010: I shot my bull elk at 87 yards. I also shot a whitetail doe at 110 yards. I used a Nikon 550 rangefinder for both shots.

I shoot a 2004 model BowTech Extreme VFT with Axis XT 300 arrows, Muzzy 100 grain 3 blades, and a "standard" 8 pin sight from Montana BlackGold.

Travis

For those guys who answerd "over 100 yards" - I'd be interested in hearing you biggest fish story too.

X2...I've shot a deer at 56yds, only because I miss placed an arrow a little too far back at 30 yds...Follow up shot was at 56 yds too put her out of suffering, a perfect hit!!! But all those 100 plus yd shots...man please!! a few I can believe,,,but not what was it 500 plus!!??

I believe max range depends on each hunter and how he practices. After I've been shooting for a while my practice is done at 50 and 60 yards. After practing at these ranges I'm far more comfortable with 40-50 yard shots. The shot I'm most proud of was made out of a deer stand on a turkey, 43 lasered yards. No way would I try a 60 yard shot on a whitetail.

This....

untitled.jpg

34 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.