Votes: 452 31.6%
  • 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 189 13.2%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 64 4.5%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 110 7.7%

• Total voters
I bow hunt too, but beyond 50 yards is pushing it. I have more respect for the animal, and have to be truly sure of my shot than to loose an arrow beyond that. I felt very sick when I hit a woodchuck back east when I was a teen, and have it run into a hole to die. I take lead from the military snipers, one shot- one kill. As for 800 yard rifle shots, I would never attempt it, no matter what the conditions. If you miss your aim point, break a leg, belly shot, what do you do for a follow up shot. I passed up many a whitetail because the setup was not right. I know you guys practice probably far more than I do, but there is that little branch you don't see, or that unexpected gust of wind.
My point of view. Sunshinegirl, age- old enough to collect SS

Those arguments apply to every range. It is great to shoot within ones limits and beliefs. It is naive to believe those limits and beliefs are universal.

No, I don't believe many have ethics when they let loose at extreme ranges. I hunted critters for a long time, shot quite a few, but I respect them. To shoot, just to say I got one at XXX hundred yards is being silly. I have a .338 Rum that can reach out and touch them too, but I'd rather use my skills as a hunter to get in close with my 45-70. I've seen a few deer with legs dangling, or humped up from belly shots, so I perfected my stalking abilities so as not to contributor of a like situation. If this offend you distance shooters, so be it....

Sunshinegirl

Ethics are important. There are a gazillion websites out there to where you may take your ethics discussion. We on this site all have ethics but our rules say we will not discuss them on this site.

Thanks for your cooperation.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't care if someone believes you or not, with that said, I'm not here to argue. The man that taught me how to bowhunt is a lifetime bowhunter and guide. He has dropped two, that I can confirm antelope over 100. The farthest that i can confirm was 123 yards. He also kills Ibex at longer ranges that most people think possible. Its a personal thing. I believe in ethics too, however, a person can wound an animal at 10 yards, hell I missed a javolina at 18 yards once. Its completly a matter of what yardage that individual feels confident with.

And yes when i have an upcoming hunt I feel very confident out to 80 and wouldn't think twice about taking that shot.

I am a firm believer in shooting what you skill will allow you. I put alot of arrows down range at the 40-50 yard range to build up for the season. I can shoot 45 yds as well as I can 20...and I feel just as confident. But with that being said, I shot at a deer last season at 37 yds and he jumped string...the arrow hit him dead center of his back hip. Luckily it severed the femoral and the tracking job wasnt that bad. So it doesnt really matter how confident you are at a range...things can and almost certainly will happen. But when that next 40-45 yd shot comes along I wont hesitate to fling that arrow...if the shot is there I know I can make it....as long as Murphy stays out of it

my best

GalleryThumbnails.aspx

not sure if the pic will show up. My longest was a 4pt at 67yds. My biggest center wall/deer 168-7/8" gross 161-6/8 net offical PY. The two on the side left 17 yards right 42 yards

my best

100_0258_0d213.JPG

Not sure if the pic will show up. My longest was a 4pt at 67yds. My biggest center wall/deer @47 yards..168-7/8" gross 161-6/8 net offical PY. The two on the sides on the left 17 yards, deer on right 42 yards. The rest are rifles kills.

I've taken 2 animals with a bow. A whitetail doe at 60yards and a 6pt buck at 4yards. I routinely practice out to 70 and 80 yards but "try" to limit my shots to 30-40 yards. My concern with long range bow hunting was the arrows time in flight. Deer are good at jumping the string so I try to get close.

As for practicing, when I was realling into bow hunting at 70 yards 5 arrows would all fit in a small hardee's coffee cup. I shot a lot. lol

High Country Force bow at 65lbs 2213 arrow and 100gr Thunderhead tips. About 280fps I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.