Yes, more questions on 6.5x300 Weatherby

Flatbow

I know this has been hit on a bit before so looking for actual hands on experience with these bullets/powders please
My brother won, yes won in an NRA raffle a 6.5 x300 weatherby Vangaurd Wilderness that I am going to be working up a load for.
Bullets I have on hand are Nos. 142g ABlr and Barnes 127g LRX.
Suitable ( I think) powders on hand:
Retumbo
RL 33
IMR 8133
IMR 7828
Barrel is 26" 1in 8 twist
Would really like to get a load using the 142 ABLR and I am curious about the IMR 8133 as I have never used it.

Any advice on using any of the combos would really be appreciated.

Having looked into this, I was going to start with Retumbo myself and the 142g ABLR. Didn't finish the rifle, but the blank I have is 34" long and 8" twist also.
RE33 would be very hard on the throat, so I didn't consider it, 7828 is the only other powder you list that would be a consideration, this cartridge needs mega slow powders. I was teed up to try H50BMG with both the 142g ABLR & 156g Berger, but life changed…
Hope this can help getting you started.

Cheers.

I have had great results with RL33 and N570, both are next to each-other in burn rate. I believe N570 has a bit of an edge over RL33 in velocity, but I have used a lot of RL33 and have quite a few pounds on hand. I am currently using N570 and have stocked up on it too. Both work very well with heavy for caliber bullets (153.5 and 156 Bergers) and long barrels.

If you look at a lot of published load data for the 6.5-300Wby, IMR8133 is in all of them as a top performer. I have loaded for 3 of them, and that is what I used for all three. None of these were top end loads, but most accurate.

127 LRX @ 3520fps
130 OTM @ 3490fps
140 NAB @ 3440fps

OK everyone knows Weatherby's can be finicky, especially with jump to the lands. Bit more free bore than other rifles . Obviously you need to do your own ladder test to find out where your node is. Every barrel is different. Here are two loads that I worked up for my 6.5-300 Weatherby, Both loads are under 1/2" moa.
127 lrx
Shell 2.8175"
OAL 3.63"
91.5 gr US 869
And the other load I have is
143 ELDX *78gr IMR8133.
I've taken a few elk and an aoudad with the 127 lrx. It performs great at close and long distance. The reason for the ElDX load was I thought I needed a bullet with a better BC for longer distances, but it definitely is not necessary. This lrx load, I'm getting 3538 ft./s. When I shot that aoudad, by the time the bullet got to him, he had turned, and it went through his groin and came out his neck.

This is all great info. Thanks
I will state that I am by no means looking for speed with this round as it will have plenty, just a decent (accurate) load.
And yes I am aware that this can be a very finicky round to load. Hence the question of loading the Nosler ABLR as well, I know they can be finicky as well. That is why I have 400 rounds of these collecting dust in my cabinet. Could not get them to shoot out of my 6.5 CM.
Magnummaniac- I am by no means questioning you as your knowledge in this far exceeds mine.
I am a bit confused about the RL 33 statement as my manual on burn rates shows it burn rate right with Retumbo and slower than 7828.
I use the 7828 in my 7mm RUM and I load for two of my buddy's 28 Noslers with RL33 (recommended by local GS).

Your thoughts?

If you look at a lot of published load data for the 6.5-300Wby, IMR8133 is in all of them as a top performer. I have loaded for 3 of them, and that is what I used for all three. None of these were top end loads, but most accurate.

127 LRX @ 3520fps
130 OTM @ 3490fps
140 NAB @ 3440fps
Good to see loads and experience with 8133. I bought a pound of this when it first came out do to its advertised info and supposedly temp. Stability

Us 869 has been my go to powder in the 6.5-300, I do know others have good luck with rl 33. I just can't seem to find any and will not tear apart my 26 nosler hand loads to get any. I have used retumbo in 123 absolute hammers driving them to 3485. Accuracy was good. I haven't tried the 8133 as that 8# jug is saved for my 30-378. N 570 I have yet to find. I do have some rl50 that I have yet to try and 24n41 🤔

OK everyone knows Weatherby's can be finicky, especially with jump to the lands. Bit more free bore than other rifles . Obviously you need to do your own ladder test to find out where your node is. Every barrel is different. Here are two loads that I worked up for my 6.5-300 Weatherby, Both loads are under 1/2" moa.
127 lrx
Shell 2.8175"
OAL 3.63"
91.5 gr US 869
And the other load I have is
143 ELDX *78gr IMR8133.
I've taken a few elk and an aoudad with the 127 lrx. It performs great at close and long distance. The reason for the ElDX load was I thought I needed a bullet with a better BC for longer distances, but it definitely is not necessary. This lrx load, I'm getting 3538 ft./s. When I shot that aoudad, by the time the bullet got to him, he had turned, and it went through his groin and came out his neck.
Thanks for the info. I have never seen US 869 at our local sporting goods stores so good to see something with 8133 as I have some of that . However, I will not use an ELDx (at least in the smaller calibers) on any big game if there is a chance for any relatively close shot. Due to bad performance experience using them in my 6.5 CM. (Absolute decinigration)
I switched to the Barnes LRX 127 and am very pleased with it. Outstandingly so!
Was just thinking of trying to go with a heavier bullet since the 6.5x300 has plenty of velocity. But only with a bonded or mono bullet and monos are just not as heavy. And I do have plenty of the ABLR's
I may try them with the 8133.

Thanks to all for the advice and link to load data

My dad shoots one and we use us869. We don't shoot it ever in the heat. We keep it in cooler Temps and actually have had great luck with it. Hunting in 60s to 0 during elk and it hit dead on. I will say if your going to shoot the lighter bullets I highly recommend shooting a copper bullet like hammer or pva ect. Get top speeds and great performance.

My dad shoots the 160 matrix at 3200 but they don't make them anymore so once there out going to coppers