More 6.5x284 Questions...

TimeOnTarget

Finally got some trigger/loading time on my 6.5 this morning.

I must have gotten a short throat barrel because @ 3.03" with 140 bergers im touching the lands.

My die will only go down to 2.94 and even @ 3.03 That puts dang near half of the 140vld inside the case.

I've tried from 2.94 to 3.13 COAL. I've only tried 2 powders so far. h4831sc and Retumbo. Best group so far was 49.0grns of h4831sc @ 3.13 (1-1.25") but this is a hunting rifle and not real keen on the idea of putting the bullet .10 into the lands. The retumbo produced 1.5 groups @ best

Rifle specs.

Savage 110 action
26" shilen barrel 1-8" twist
B&C Medalist stock(not bedded)
Rifle basix trigger

Any ideas how to get this short throated barrel to shoot? I'd really like to shoot the 140vlds but with the bullet being so long it just might not work out.

Help!

you might try the 140 amax,i tried bergers in my model 12 and couldn't get much of a group,went to the amax and had 6 out of 7 in 1 hole,the 7th was a little out,but all shots even the last you could cover with a dime.

how many different lengths did you try? With my redding die when i am starting new loads i will start with my longest one i plan to shoot, load up three and then loosen up the bullet seater part of my seater die and turn it in a quarter turn which usually yeilds 12-15 thous deeper bullet seating. i will usually do 5 different lengths. Once i find the length that it likes the best i will start playing with powder charges going .3of a grain at a time up and down and see what i get. I also think you can bump up the powder charge a bit. I noticed some loads are reloaders nest go up to about 55.5gr. of 4831. Work up slowing and see how it reacts to the increase in powder. bedding it also be just what it needs to bring your groups in under an inch

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.