Yep. Another tent thread

dcl

Hi guys. Looking for your input on this. Headed to Montana. Ennis area.Sept. 10-28 chasing elk and mulies. Planning on packing in a camp. 2 guys. Shopping for a new tent for the trip. I really want the Hilleberg nallo 3 GT. Price is scary and I understand I get what I pay for. Are there any other tents I should look at. Planning on packing in for a up to 4 nights then out to resupply. What other brands/ tents should I be considering? Where does the Big agnes seedhouse 3 fit into the race with the nallo 3? Buddy has the seed house and loves it. Any help would be great. Thanks. dave.

Dcl, I only have ex with "cheeper" tents. I have used two different SIERRA DESIGNS tents and loved them both. about 5 lbs each. I used my sierra in Wyoming in snow and rain in temps of 19 and 80 degrees. I used it in west virginia wilderness in 20 degree weather , which is much colder than montana 20 degrees. be sure to treat your tent with rain proof spray, and one major thing is ventalation to reduce condensation. the sierra I have is all mesh with a rain fly. it has been thrugh one hell of a rain storm with no leaks. condensation will build up so bad in a solid wall tent that you will be so damp it wil feel like rain. staking out the fly is critical. I learned the hard way. the tent does not keep you warm the sleeping bag does. I just baught an ALPS for Idaho, from sierra trading post 119$.

Grand Mesa 4 person by Kelty is what I have used in CO Elk hunting. It's realy a 3 person When backback hunting & only at 7.5 lbs its a lot of tent for the money. I have used this tent in CO 3rd rifle season at 9200 ft in very cold temps.

Check out the REI Half Dome 4, it is a bomber tent and pretty light for its size.

Ive used the North face VE 25 3 man for a long time. Just a great tent. Have had it in every extreme type of weather you can imagine and had held up flawlessly. Comfy no matter whats going on outside.

I'm sure ther are a number of great tents out there that would work for you. I researched quite a bit last winter and purchased a Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 for my backpack spring bear hunt. It worked amazingly well for two hunters. It's lightweight, well designed and sets up easily. There is a door and vestibule on each side for each hunter.

After we got camp set up the first afternoon, it started raining. It rained all night and until two o'clock the following afternoon and the tent never leaked a drop. We had another serious rainstorm that went through a couple of days later with pouring rain and some serious wind with the same result. Great tent. Worth looking into. Good luck!

So FWIW, the REI Halfdome 4 is almost the exact same tent as the Big Agnes Copper Spur, but about $150 cheaper. Both are great tents and the REI one has a lifetime warranty.

I just picked up a marmot limelight for $170. Haven't used it but a lot of research and really like this one for the price.

I too say go with the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3. Its a bomber tent, light, and I have had good luck with mine here in AK. Winds and rain no problem.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will look at the tents you guys have tried. Can't wait for the trip. Just really want to be prepared. thanks again. dcl

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts