Davis Tent

I don't think weight is too much of a concern as durability is. Kifaru Tipi's seem like something I could find on sportsmansguide in a comparable quality. Does anyone produce a canvas version stateside?

My son has a Davis tent and their stove with the kitchen fly Everything is well-made, tough and their service was excellent
Hey Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is permitted to post in this spot but I wanted to see what folks think of Davis tents?

I was thinking about picking one up for the next hunt (I know it's not backpacking technically) but we are gonna haul 2 game carts. One with our campsite and the other for our quarry on.

I was thinking of picking up one of their tents but wanted to see if anyone has already used them?
My son has a Davis tent and their stove they are both well-made

Hey Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is permitted to post in this spot but I wanted to see what folks think of Davis tents?

I was thinking about picking one up for the next hunt (I know it's not backpacking technically) but we are gonna haul 2 game carts. One with our campsite and the other for our quarry on.

I was thinking of picking up one of their tents but wanted to see if anyone has already used them?
As for as your tent goes. I strongly suggest that you go to Montana Canvas and compare with Davis Tents. For your money in my opinion Montana Canvas is the way to go.

Hey Everyone,

i have 2 of them from Davis Tent. My large one is 16x21 plenty of room and plenty of storage for 6 guys. The other i believe is a 12x16 thats our cook tent. They make a quality product and stand behind it. Always go bigger than what you think you might need or you will just end up selling it or upgrading as your party gets bigger.
~Arnie

1st Davis tents are top quality tents. I've used their Herder tent and own 2 wall tents. 2nd After reading OP's comments through the post, I'm not sure Davis is the solution. As previously mentioned, I would look long and hard at Kifaru and First Lite (Both Colorado Companies). 3rd I would go down to Davis and load a tent & pole set in your cart to see if you've got the horsepower to move it around in the mountains? Best of luck with you decision making! I think they used to make a 14' x 14' Herder? You might ask them about it. It could be what you are looking for.

1st Davis tents are top quality tents. I've used their Herder tent and own 2 wall tents. 2nd After reading OP's comments through the post, I'm not sure Davis is the solution. As previously mentioned, I would look long and hard at Kifaru and First Lite (Both Colorado Companies). 3rd I would go down to Davis and load a tent & pole set in your cart to see if you've got the horsepower to move it around in the mountains? Best of luck with you decision making! I think they used to make a 14' x 14' Herder? You might ask them about it. It could be what you are looking for.

Thanks, I do hunt other places than CO too, so I'd probably use the ATV for the large excursions but for our normal hunting trips foot power is our primary source (or truck terrain permitting).

Does anyone know when I can post to classifieds? I'd like to make a request to see if anyone has a used davis they'd sell.

Thanks, I do hunt other places than CO too, so I'd probably use the ATV for the large excursions but for our normal hunting trips foot power is our primary source (or truck terrain permitting).

Does anyone know when I can post to classifieds? I'd like to make a request to see if anyone has a used davis they'd sell.

on here, try "other stuff for sale" and post WTB want to buy. I've also seen them for sale on other colorado forums/lists.

I had a Reliable Tent & Tipi 10 x12 10.4 oz. FR canvas and I bought it with their aluminum frame. It was a "special package" deal that included their sheepherder stove. I upgraded the latter and put it away for a backup. It was my moose camp sleep quarters for the wife and I for two months a year. I made it up to be ridiculously comfortable and it sure was. The last five years of service it stood on a platform; the last three of those had the Koyukuk flooding. Twice in 2017. No memory is fonder for me than those great years here in the Arctic.

While there's probably nothing more accommodating than a canvas wall tent for extended and/or winter camp I'd not want to haul that 10 x 12 tent very far. Nor would I care to have three others in that tent with me; it was perfect for the wife and I though. I hauled the tent and all in my boat--including the Honda. Moose are large. I'll be getting its replacement this year and I think I'll go with the Relite fabric or something similar as I have to be able to erect it alone. There are many good tent makers out there--Alaska Tent & Tarp makes top notch gear--but after reading this I'm really going to look at Davis this time. Here's some photos: KoyuKamp2.jpg

Attachments

• greetings c.jpg
    greetings c.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 296
  • moose camp submerged c.jpg
    moose camp submerged c.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 314
Our 4 man group has had 2 Davis canvass wall tents for 17 years. Hunted CO mostly.
Great product. One is for sleeping and the other a cook tent. Sleep tent has a wood stove....toasty! Each man has his own 40"x78" "bunk bed (upper & lower) made of EMT electrical pipe and angles, and 3/4' plywood. Plenty of space. Beats the hell out of 4 big boys, (180, 220, 230, 290 pounds) squeezing in a rented travel trailer or RV.
Buy once cry once. IIRC, we paid $1200 each back then with interior pole kits and 5 foot outside wall support poles. One of the best investmens we've made as a group. Split things 4 ways and it doesn't sting as much. Good luck with whatever you decide.

It doesn't let me post, It says I don't have privileges. I'd like to post there though...

I think you need " X " number of posts , before you can use the classifieds . I looked for a used one before I bought mine . I watched these forums , looked on craigs list , and a few other local classifieds . they are not listed often on these forums . the few I found on craigs list were well used and priced as new , so I bought new .

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.