Davis Tent

Hey Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is permitted to post in this spot but I wanted to see what folks think of Davis tents?

I was thinking about picking one up for the next hunt (I know it's not backpacking technically) but we are gonna haul 2 game carts. One with our campsite and the other for our quarry on.

I was thinking of picking up one of their tents but wanted to see if anyone has already used them?
Can't buy a better outfitters tent been using them for years!

Hey Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is permitted to post in this spot but I wanted to see what folks think of Davis tents?

I was thinking about picking one up for the next hunt (I know it's not backpacking technically) but we are gonna haul 2 game carts. One with our campsite and the other for our quarry on.

I was thinking of picking up one of their tents but wanted to see if anyone has already used them?
I have a few of them two with internal poles and one new one we bought last hunt. Suggest you get the internal fram allows much more room as you do not have the center poles

Fair point, I mean we'll have about 4 guys total. 2 per cart, I think a game cart could handle the tent, poles and stove? I was looking at their 10x12?

Thank you for the reply!

Frank
The outfitter I guided for used them. We only put 2 people in the 10x12's. With gear, cots and a stove, they didn't leave a lot of room for more. Maybe in an emergency. We had a couple of big ones we used as a cook tent and a bunk tent. Not sure what size the big ones were. We only used the Davis tents in the main camp. We used mountain pack tents for spike camps. We used horses for riding and as pack animals in a designated wilderness area, with the main camp being just outside the wilderness area.

The Davises are good tents. A little heavy to go far with on foot.
Good luck!

If you're gonna haul wall tents and stoves in, I'd get a large (12 man) kifaru teepee with one of their large stoves. Way more packable and better use of space. My .02.

I don't think weight is too much of a concern as durability is. Kifaru Tipi's seem like something I could find on sportsmansguide in a comparable quality. Does anyone produce a canvas version stateside?
I have no idea what you mean by that. Sounds like you want a wall tent. If that's the case, get a mt canvas or Davis or diamond. All pretty much the same cost and weight between respective sizes. If you want something you can actually backpack with, get a kifaru or seek outside. If you're not gonna use stoves inside the tent, save a ton of money and get a big 3+ season tent that's a fraction of the weight. Are you packing the wall tent frame as well or relying on finding and cutting durable timbers for the frame?

Hey Everyone,

Check out the Elk Horn Wall Tents. They are a far superior wall tent.

Hey Everyone,

Check out WALL TENT SHOP, located in Moscow Idaho. Better prices and as good or better quality. Look him up on line.

I've heard mixed reviews on Wall Tent shop. Again, not my claim but I've heard it was subpar to Davis. I wish I could see a comparison between Davis and their competitors.

I've had a wall tent shop 8x10, bought it for a shower tent, 2-16x20 reliable tents, still own 1, and two years ago bought a Davis 14x16 for a cook shack, hands down Davis has them all beat, they run a show special in December that's when I bought mine tent was $799 comes with angle kit, I bought a couple of options eave sleeves, Colorado storm flap on the door and extra angles for awning, came out to $935 work every penny

I have a Reliable 12x14, and love it. It came with aluminum interior frame. We use it for base camp. It shrinks after you buy it, Montana's are pre-shrunk. Don't know about Davis. We've slept 4 people, but it is crowded. But we cook in ours too. My friend has a 9x12 made with light canvas. With a tall table you can slip the ends of the cots under the table. Works fine for two with cots. I also use a 6 man Kifaru for spike camps. Very comfortable for two, with its tiny wood stove, and the entire outfit weighs 11 lbs. It is very storm worthy. If you're packing in, don't use cots, use foam pads (thermarest). For cold weather you need the pads even on the cots just to keep warm. I bone out my elk, so don't need a game cart. Most places I hunt, they wouldn't work at all.

I have a Davis 16x14. Absolutely awesome if your close to the truck! Considering that the canvas alone weighs 80 some pounds and is about the size of a tall garbage can, I would haul it more than 100 yards. Then the frame is another 40-60 pounds of steel I'm guessing. Kifaru is world class quality, nothing like sportsmans guide stuff. Seek outside is great as well...like others said...a 12 man teepee. With titanium stove and pipe. Weight is maybe 20-30 pounds for tent and stove? If that? Not quite the size, comfort of a wall tent for sure. But still awesome.

I've heard mixed reviews on Wall Tent shop. Again, not my claim but I've heard it was subpar to Davis. I wish I could see a comparison between Davis and their competitors.
You can open Davis in one window, open Montana in another window and so on.

We have a 14x16 Davis & I can tell you they are awesome tents & awesome people to work with. I talked to 3 different people on the phone in the process of getting it and everyone of them had the last name Davis. Would not go anywhere else for a base camp wall tent & 14x16 is a great size for 4 guys.

What you are trying to do however,eliminates any canvas wall tent from the conversation. I agree with those that suggested a Large teepee tent. Kifaru & Seek if money is no problem or take a look at luxe hiking gear if you want a functional set up for a fraction of the cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.