WSM Takeover

I found a single .300 WSM case and a 1/2 dozen nickel plated .243's in the middle of a designated off-road area (supposed to be a bird hunting ONLY area) when I was supporting a desert race and was stationed where I found them. It was a bit tarnished, but every time that I look at it I wonder how it would do in a SA with 168's.

Then I've got a tight twist 7-08 prefit that I'm thinking may not work out. Since it's a Savage prefit I'm thinking maybe a 7WSM or a 7/.300WSM re-chambering.......

6.5 wsm a med length action would be the ideal thing if i was starting from scratch ona build , i all ready have two short actions in use for wsm cal ,so i just run the 140 gr bergers and the OAL works with an extended mag box .

3200 fps with 140 your really not giving up anything to the newer heavier class bullets .
i have tried running a 150 class bullets and the velocities were slower ,so time of flight effected wind dope in a negative light out to my max hunting range .
if your planning to run 150 class bullet the med action would be my choice.
also if your looking for the 7wsm
make sure your smith has a reamer base off a 300 wsm case design if you want the most case capacity .
the factory 7mm wsm case is a lil different and was designed that way as not to be able to chamber in another 7mm short mag chamber , i beleive it was the rem ultra mag but im going off my memory.
the factory 7wsm case has a little less case capacity .
for that reason my first was the 270 wsm chamber .

I have no experience with bertram brass ,
but good to know another option ,
thanks for the info

6.5 wsm a med length action would be the ideal thing if i was starting from scratch ona build , i all ready have two short actions in use for wsm cal ,so i just run the 140 gr bergers and the OAL works with an extended mag box .

3200 fps with 140 your really not giving up anything to the newer heavier class bullets .
i have tried running a 150 class bullets and the velocities were slower ,so time of flight effected wind dope in a negative light out to my max hunting range .
if your planning to run 150 class bullet the med action would be my choice.
also if your looking for the 7wsm
make sure your smith has a reamer base off a 300 wsm case design if you want the most case capacity .
the factory 7mm wsm case is a lil different and was designed that way as not to be able to chamber in another 7mm short mag chamber , i beleive it was the rem ultra mag but im going off my memory.
the factory 7wsm case has a little less case capacity .
for that reason my first was the 270 wsm chamber .
7wsm has more case. Slightly shorter neck

More than half the time i dont have a spotter with me to watch for impact , so the low recoil with lighter bullet weight calibers helps spot your own shots .
breaks work great to that result , prone can be a pain in the high plains desert dust .
you definitely dont want a radial break design when prone

Years ago I wanted to build a 7WSM but due to the lack of quality brass, I did a 7-270WSM using Norma brass. It's about .090 shorter than the 300 and 7 WSMs. Turns out that the 7-270WSM seems to hit a sweet spot in case capacity similar to the 7SAUM. Since then I have built several of these for myself and clients in short and long actions. They all turned out to very accurate rifles, if quality components were used.
The Norma brass was awesome until the pandemic. I would like to try a true 300 or 7WSM one of these days. Maybe the availability of good brass will push me over the ledge. It would be an interesting experiment to see if the .090 of length really make a difference.

I have a 300WSM in a Tika, it love 168 Classic hunters, and 150 Nozler, tried 175 Barnes LRX , Hornady ELDX 212, Nosler 180BTs. all shot super out to 200 then fell apart, by 400 the 212s would some times hit paper. the 1 in 11 twist just doesn't work for the heavy rounds. shame I chnaged the bolt stop to a long action and bought a longer mag all to load longer bullets.

Not only available brass, but ammo and supporting products to reload drive my chamberings. I already have a hot 26cal (264wm, 3 actually) and would go 30cal or larger with wsm. My last 3 recent builds were ALL based on what's in stock (brass, dies and support) for the 6.5prc and 7saum AR's. If I could get 2,200 w/450gr from a 20" going 458wsm or 2,500 w/350gr from same barrel length, I'd be all over it!

Recent Posts