Wsm rifle

Suggest you folks get sales figures on reloading die and rifle sales. The tired old 300 WinMag outsells all the shorties.

RCBS puts out annually a list of previous years die sales - here's two years together.

I have edited this list from RCBS in 2009 and put the ranking of each caliber in the 2005 RCBS list in bold behind.

#1 .223 Remington 3
#2 .45 ACP 7
#3 9mm Luger 17
#4 .40 S&W 21
#5 .308 Winchester 4
#6 .30-06 2
#7 .357 Magnum/.38 Special (roll crimp) 12
#8 .243 Winchester 5
#9 .270 Winchester 8
#10 .22-250 Remington 6
#11 .44 Magnum/.44 Special 10
#12 .300 Winchester Magnum 9
#13 7mm Remington Magnum 13
#14 .45 Colt 14
#15 .223 Remington (Small Base)
#16 .30-30 Winchester 20
#17 .204 Ruger 1
#18 .25-06 Remington 16
#19 .380 Auto
#20 7mm-08 Remington 22
#21 .45-70 15
#22 .300 Winchester Short Magnum 11
#23 .270 Winchester Short Magnum 19
#24 .357 Magnum/.38 Special (taper crimp)
#25 .300 Remington Ultra Magnum 23

You'll note the 2 shorties slipped a lot from 05' to 09' ----- Imagine 10 years later !

Here's 2012 no shorties .

1. .223 Remington
  2. .308 Winchester
  3. .30-06 Springfield
  4. .243 Winchester
  5. .270 Winchester
  6. .300 Winchester Magnum
  7. .22-250 Remington
  8. 7mm Remington Magnum
  9. .30-30 Winchester
  10. .25-06 Remington
Ammo sales:

USA (Averaged 2015 sales rank)

1. .223 Remington
  2. .308 Winchester
  3. .30-06 Springfield
  4. .30-30 Winchester
  5. .270 Winchester
  6. .243 Winchester
  7. 7mm Remington Magnum
  8. .300 Winchester Magnum
  9. 7.62x39mm Soviet
  10. .22-250 Remington
See, the oldies are still right up there. Wot, no Creedmore?! o_O

Hello all Ivhave been reading about couple different wsm calibers and rifles and have seen alot of people say they have feeding problems I am wondering what brand and model rifles in wsm are good rifles that do not have feeding problems.
Thanks
I built a 7wsm on a 700 short action. Center feed Wyatt magazine with a little rail work and it feeds fine. Super accurate with 180 VLD's. The rifle scope and all weighs 7lb 13 oz. Love it!

Creed sales.
Just drink the coolaide it's good.
Shep

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200519-202628.png
    Screenshot_20200519-202628.png
    510.7 KB · Views: 90
Sounds like a nice rifle thank you for your input.what all do you hunt with the 270 wsm? I've looked in the that round for couple years now but I'm still not sure about it
Ha, glad I dropped back by this thread and saw your question. If you don't mind a little backstory, I got that rifle used at a gun store in Albuquerque last September. I'd taken my wife there from Tucson to hear Peter Frampton on his final tour, since I was going to be elk hunting the following week when he was in Phoenix (much closer to our home). The Mrs. was feeling pretty happy about the trip and encouraged me to buy it as kind of a reward I think. Its serial number indicates it was made in early 1998 but it appears to have been fired very little.
I had a successful AZ elk hunt and then got back to wrestling with a new .243 I wanted to take to Montana in late October for deer and pronghorn, but just could not find a load that I felt confident in. In desperation I opened the Nosler manual, turned to the 270 WSM / 140 grain tables, and just picked their "most accurate" powder and "most accurate" charge (a middle charge of MagPro). It shot great! So with all of 9 rounds through my new barrel, I headed to Montana with it. (I did check and adjust my zero the day I got there - so fired a few more rounds doing that.) I ended up killing a pronghorn at 407 yards and a mule deer at 453! After getting home I finally got a load figured out for that .243 and used it to kill an AZ Coues deer in late December. It was the best hunting season of my life, and my first one after retiring last April.

So, that's a long answer to your question. Short answer - deer and pronghorn, so far.
BUT I think with the right bullets and good shot placement it's just fine for anything that doesn't fight back. A little better than the .270 Winchester, and the .270 Winchester is just great. .270 WSM doesn't kick much either.

However, I'm having kind of a medium bore orgy in my workshop right now. I will have to look for excuses to use the mediums that have come into being this year, so I probably won't hunt game bigger than deer with the 270 WSM (but I can really reach out with that one). Since last season I have built or acquired two 338-06s, and a 9.3x62. I've dusted off the old Savage 99 .358, and just yesterday scored a Mauser .375 H&H barrel off our classifieds here. And all I have to use them on for this coming fall is a cow elk tag. I may have to shoot a deer with "too much gun."

Good luck in your quest - I just felt like telling a story,
Rex

Ha, glad I dropped back by this thread and saw your question. If you don't mind a little backstory, I got that rifle used at a gun store in Albuquerque last September. I'd taken my wife there from Tucson to hear Peter Frampton on his final tour, since I was going to be elk hunting the following week when he was in Phoenix (much closer to our home). The Mrs. was feeling pretty happy about the trip and encouraged me to buy it as kind of a reward I think. Its serial number indicates it was made in early 1998 but it appears to have been fired very little.
I had a successful AZ elk hunt and then got back to wrestling with a new .243 I wanted to take to Montana in late October for deer and pronghorn, but just could not find a load that I felt confident in. In desperation I opened the Nosler manual, turned to the 270 WSM / 140 grain tables, and just picked their "most accurate" powder and "most accurate" charge (a middle charge of MagPro). It shot great! So with all of 9 rounds through my new barrel, I headed to Montana with it. (I did check and adjust my zero the day I got there - so fired a few more rounds doing that.) I ended up killing a pronghorn at 407 yards and a mule deer at 453! After getting home I finally got a load figured out for that .243 and used it to kill an AZ Coues deer in late December. It was the best hunting season of my life, and my first one after retiring last April.

So, that's a long answer to your question. Short answer - deer and pronghorn, so far.
BUT I think with the right bullets and good shot placement it's just fine for anything that doesn't fight back. A little better than the .270 Winchester, and the .270 Winchester is just great. .270 WSM doesn't kick much either.

However, I'm having kind of a medium bore orgy in my workshop right now. I will have to look for excuses to use the mediums that have come into being this year, so I probably won't hunt game bigger than deer with the 270 WSM (but I can really reach out with that one). Since last season I have built or acquired two 338-06s, and a 9.3x62. I've dusted off the old Savage 99 .358, and just yesterday scored a Mauser .375 H&H barrel off our classifieds here. And all I have to use them on for this coming fall is a cow elk tag. I may have to shoot a deer with "too much gun."

Good luck in your quest - I just felt like telling a story,
Rex
Thanks for the awesome story sounds like you have a great wife to mine just says really another gun lol but anyways I've looked hard at the 270 wsm I had couple bad experience with the standard 270win I'm my early hunting days but that was due to bad out of date ammo and being young but I've always felt the 270 win didnt have enough energy to them but then again could have been the ammo we use to always use what ever we could afford when I was growing up I've used a 308 for going on 10 years now and I've only had to track one deer that was shot little back from were I wanted but it only went 10 yards with buckets of blood.im mainly looking for something to step into magnum caliber rifle and I want another rifle to add to my collection anyways

It is always interesting to see the "banter" that gets generated when the WSM/SAUM chamberings are discussed.
There are the lovers and the haters....seems to be little middle ground when these are being talked about.
Personally, I have had at least one of every 'Short" magnum out there. I liked them all. Shot moose, Elk, Caribou and a couple of Blackies with them. They do the job well, but so do a plethora of other chamberings, belted or otherwise.
Since my absolute favorite 30 in a magnum persuasion is the 308 Norma Magnum, I no longer own a 300 WSM or a 300 SAUM. Also sold the 270 and 7mm Shorts. However, I retained and love the 325 WSM a lot.
No feeding issues, very accurate, and plenty of "thump" to anchor Elk, Moose or big bears with authority.
Will not quite run with my 8mm Rem Mag, but quite a bit more pleasant to shoot.
It really boils down to personal preference, nothing more or less. Dave.

Hello all Ivhave been reading about couple different wsm calibers and rifles and have seen alot of people say they have feeding problems I am wondering what brand and model rifles in wsm are good rifles that do not have feeding problems.
Thanks
Remington o
I could not disagree with the above more!
I personally have never had feeding issues with 3 different WSMs. They certainly are not dead! They have not stopped their record of excellent performance just because a few new cartridges hit the Market.
Pic your favorite rifle manufacturer and I will bet they chamber a WSM.
My favorite is the 270 WSM in a MRC
We have 2 Savages one in 270 WSM and the other in a 300 WSM that is a elk hammer.
Remington, Savage, and Browning only make the 270 & 300 WSM Browning has some 7mm and 325 WSM left but when they are gone there gone. The WSM are almost none exist anymore. They seam to be all special order now days. I thank if Winchester would have made a 6.5 WSM and Remington would have made a 6.5 SAUM they probably would have done pretty good.

yep the 9.3 X 62 is a great round much better than the 35 whelen which is a great round.. Reloader 15 will make the 9.3 sing a wonderful song. And it will also sing in the 338/06.
Most americans do not know ,but the 9.3X 62 produces more punch if hand loaded to 30/06 pressure. will produce more energy than a 338 win magnum which is one heck of a powerful rifle. I have a 9.5 x 63 improved improved that shoot a 270 grain at 2650.. all on a 06 case. reloader 15 again and a 416 taylor that shoots a 400 gr at 2410 again reloader 15.

we have two 300wsm Browning X bolts both feed awesome, very accurate with factory ammo and great hunting rifles as the short action and barrel length on the browning make them the shortest on the market, from memory 4'' shorter than a 300WM tikka or sako.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.