270 wsm/7mm wsm hvy barrel

Greywolf18

I have seen that the 270 wsm comes in the winchester coyote lite. I am looking into either of these calibers but can't find any others with a hvy barrel. I cannot find the new winchesters anywhere so I started looking around, but can't find anything. Can't really afford a custom, so was looking into a factory one.

Also, from what I've seen there isn't too much of a difference between the two when the 270 has a 130 bullet and the 7mm has the 140. If you had the choice, which would you guys choose?

I would choose the 7wsm.- not just because of the 140 g. bullets you mention, but foe the much better ballistics of the 7mm projectiles ( look at the 162 amax, 168 bergers, or even 160 accubond).

Your final choice depends on a lot of different considerations. If you are looking just at ballistics and performance of the round, I would look to the 7 WSM over the 270 WSM because of the greater selection of bullets. However, if popularity of a round (availability of ammunition) is important to you, the 270 WSN may be ahead of the 7mm WSM.

Over the past several years many new calibers have been developed, but it is highly unlikely that all will survive. Just look at the WSSM family. At present, I am not aware of any manufacturers currently producing rifles in any of the WSSM calibers. They appear to be a dying breed, so future availability of brass & ammo is in question. Winchester will not even work on/replace WSSM barrels on any of their old Winchester rifles.

In the WSM family there are four calibers: 270, 7mm, 300 & 325. Like the WSSM family, many rifle manufactures jumped on the band wagon and produced rifles for all calibers. However, only Browning continue to make rifles in all four calibers. Winchester has already dropped the 7mm WSM from its offerings. It seems the balance of rifle makers that produce rifles in WSM chamberings (including Sako/Tikka) have dropped the 7mm and 325 lines and now just seem to be focusing on the 270 WSM and the 300 WSM. It would appear as if 7mm WSM brass/ammo may be difficult to find. Reloading would give the 7mm WSM extended life - assuming that 300 WSM brass remains widely available.

I am partial to the 270 wsm. The differences have been hashed to death. IMHO when you reload they are tit for tat. There are super high BC bullets available for the 270 as well as the 7mm.. The answer to your second question. Browning also offers a really nice heavy barrel rifle with a thumbhole laminated stock. Look for the browing a-bolt m1000 eclipse. Good luck finding a tikka with a heavy barrel in the states.. I have had no luck other than the 223, 22-250, and 308.

It would appear as if 7mm WSM brass/ammo may be difficult to find. Reloading would give the 7mm WSM extended life - assuming that 300 WSM brass remains widely available.

Just remember, 7mmWSM brass is different size than 270wsm, 300wsm, and 325wsm.

They are all the same length. 7mm has a shorter neck but has a longer case body. The others have a longer neck and shorter body. You can make 7mm out of the other brass, but it needs to be fireformed.

There is a 270WSM winchester coyote for sale here locally, I actually looked at it before I got my last rifle. I was surprised on how light it felt. It was in the used rack, but looked good. If you really want one, I could give you the name of the place, they probably would ship it.

New guy here. I'm going through a similar thing right now trying to decide btwn 270WSM, 7MM, 7mm WSM, or maybe even 300 WSM. I've been looking a lot at the Berger VLD along with that decision as my goal is long range deer hunting.

Today I came across "Lost River Technologies J36" while looking around on the HSM ammo site for loaded VLD bullets. They are expensive though. They had them for $28 for 20 rounds. In the .277 cal at 135 gr though they had an advertised .649 BC. Is that really possible? They said they were a Solid Annealed Hollowpoint with copper tip.

Lost River Tech might be out of business though as I can't find a website for them.

Cheers,
Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.