Working on a load for .338 Lapua

fastfire57

I am (and haven't yet) found a good load for ther Savage 110FCP 338 Lapua.
Have been using SMK 250gr HPBT and H1000.
When the Berger 300gr Hybrid becomes available I'll be using them for our local Mile Match, out to 2,000yds. Can I get some help here?

Thanks

hey there,

my go to load in my 110ba is 300gr sierra mk's seated to an oal of 3.702" over 89.2gr Retumbo in a lapua case... this puts me about 20 thou off the lands i believe, but i'd have to check that....mv in the 2750fps range...
i believe another guy on here, green 788, also came up with pretty much the same load for his savage...

i have substituted 300gr lapua scenars for the MK's in the past loaded to the same specks and found my POI at 1000 yrds was virtually the same... might come in handy if the rumors of a 300gr sierra mk shortage are true....

i also played around with the 300gr bergers abit (gen 2's i believe) but found the optimal seating depth for my gun was longer than the overall magazine length so i shelved them for now... i think i was using 89.2 gr retumbo
Oal 3.758" 2700 fps

also played with the new hornady 285 gr hpbt's pushed by 91.4gr retumbo Can't remember oal off hand 2822 fps and had promising results...

as always start low and work up your charges, good luck

orch

hey there,

my go to load in my 110ba is 300gr sierra mk's seated to an oal of 3.702" over 89.2gr Retumbo in a lapua case... this puts me about 20 thou off the lands i believe, but i'd have to check that....mv in the 2750fps range...
i believe another guy on here, green 788, also came up with pretty much the same load for his savage...

i have substituted 300gr lapua scenars for the MK's in the past loaded to the same specks and found my POI at 1000 yrds was virtually the same... might come in handy if the rumors of a 300gr sierra mk shortage are true....

i also played around with the 300gr bergers abit (gen 2's i believe) but found the optimal seating depth for my gun was longer than the overall magazine length so i shelved them for now... i think i was using 89.2 gr retumbo
Oal 3.758" 2700 fps

also played with the new hornady 285 gr hpbt's pushed by 91.4gr retumbo Can't remember oal off hand 2822 fps and had promising results...

as always start low and work up your charges, good luck

orch

What have you herd about H1000 and have you used it?
I was in the understanding that H1000 had less pressure variances than other powders for the .338

hey there... i havent used it but lots of other guys have been in the 338 lapua and 338 edge and seem to be happy with it... i can't really speak to any pressure varience issues ... i havent noticed any problems with retumbo as far as increased ambient temp causing pressure spikes in retumbo... both h-1000 and retumbo are in hogdon's extreme lineup and are supposed to be good for temperature stability....

on a side note i have seen some guys posting stuff questioning if there has been variences between new and old lots of powder....

orch

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.