Working up a load

Rkripler

So I am trying to work up a load for my custom 28 nosler. My question is while I am trying to find the best load, should I use the chronograph or find the most accurate charge and the use the chronograph. Only reason I would ask this is because I have a megneto speed bayonnet and was wondering if that would mess up my accuracy trying to find the best load. I am loading 180 and 195 grain bergers. H1000 for the 180 and R33 for the 195's. The gun is a Difience action with a 26" tube. Thanks in advance for the help.

I work up loads shooting over magneto. I have noticed a change in zero but not groups. I have a 28 nosler and the 195s shoot well 20 thou off. I used N570 and RL 33.

I also shoot loads over the magnetospeed. It does affect point of impact, my rifle shoots about 5" high with it attached. Have noticed that there is no difference in my group size though.

I too have the same experience with the Magspeed. I always work up with the Magspeed attached. It gives good data to see what your load is doing as you work up. Vel is an indication of pressure. Loads that have predictable increases in vel as the charge goes up tend to be very good loads. Powders that have erratic vel changes as the load works up usually do not work out as well. I have gotten to the point now that if I see erratic behavior during the work up that I will switch powders instead of trying to make it work out.

Once I have found my load I will shoot a few more over the Magspeed to get a good average vel and make sure that the SD is good. Then I put it away and tune the load (if needed) and shoot for zero and drops.

Steve

I work up loads shooting over magneto. I have noticed a change in zero but not groups. I have a 28 nosler and the 195s shoot well 20 thou off. I used N570 and RL 33.

what kind of speed are you getting with n570? Does it appear to be temp stable?

I worked up a load in 50 degrees and tested it at 80 with 0 degree difference. I was pushing it at 3045 with great results. I then lowered to 3026 and it's so consistent it's crazy. 6 shots es of 6 sd of 3.

Definitely use the chronograph during load development. I once shot a 1/4 MOA group at 100 yards that had an es of 125 fps . If not for the chronograph, I would have wasted a lot of time and components pursuing that load .

So I am trying to work up a load for my custom 28 nosler. My question is while I am trying to find the best load, should I use the chronograph or find the most accurate charge and the use the chronograph. Only reason I would ask this is because I have a megneto speed bayonnet and was wondering if that would mess up my accuracy trying to find the best load. I am loading 180 and 195 grain bergers. H1000 for the 180 and R33 for the 195's. The gun is a Difience action with a 26" tube. Thanks in advance for the help.

lots of opinions on this one.

personally i do my load development before strapping on the magnetospeed

i don't want the distraction of chasing velocities and SD's while finding what the rifle likes. you have a pretty good idea of velocities from reloading data. i really want the most accurate load not the fastest. max loads kill brass.

run 10 rounds over the magnetospeed after load.development for ballistic calculations

SDs can be brought down with attention to the reloading process. powder charge, neck tension, etc.....

My experience with Magneto is : Doesn't seem to mess with accuracy much. But no doubt will change POI. Never sight in with the thing.

One thing that I don't believe was mentioned is that if you use a MagnetoSpeed during work up, pay attention to keeping the belt tightened evenly throughout the shot string.
That is a big fault the unit has and I quit using mine for load development because of that.

I prefer to use my LabRadar now for load development, but will use the MagnetoSpeed to compare velocities for final dope calculations. Using only the MagnetoSpeed, I would run a pressure test to find max load, back off a grain, do load testing without it attached and then put it back on and get my average velocity, SD and ES dope. JMO

Load them tell that have flat primers. Hard bolt lift. Or extractor marks. Have a feeling you know all that....

How do you run a pressure test
Check your load manuals or powder sites for appropriate powders for bullets wt. you want to shoot in your 28. Pick a powder, seating depth, etc. Load .5 gr increments from starting load to max load. Shoot each one over a chronograph and record each velocity. Check each case for any signs of pressure, before you fire the next round. If you don't know how to gauge the pressure signs, you need to read up on it and educate yourself. Basically, the first signs you see are ejector marks, or smears on your brass. Examine primers for catering.Next your bolt will be harder to open. STOP, reduce load by one grain from where you see pressure.That will be the max load for the conditions, powder, bullets and brass you are using. BE SAFE

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.