Working up a good Load???

Scratch

When working up a new load for your rifle, do you prefer to find the right amount of powder first ? Or do you find the correct seating depth for that particular bullet and then work up to find your best accuracy ?? Curious to see what works best for other reloaders.

Thanks in Advance.

Scratch

I load powder work up first with usually. 020 jump , then experiment with different seating depths.

If you do a custom search in the upper right hand corner you will have reading material till August.
It's been beat to ☠ death.

Also, I'll go back and fine tune powder charge once I've got the optimal seating depth.

How do you do it?

First of all ,Best loads are never balls out max.

Your statement was too vague.

Pressure increases a good deal at the lands and jammed.

When I find a SAFE powder charge thats shoots ok I'll then seat the bullets deeper in 20 to 25 thousands, then go back and fine tune powder charge. And I usually start a little lower then go a little higher.

I start at the max COAL for that particular rifle, shoot over the chronograph for vel and or pressure. Vel is an indication of pressure. Find what I would consider max then back off a bit. Then shoot for group. I do not shoot for group at 100. I don't think there is much to learn under 200y, prefer 300y. If group not good then work seating depth in .03", apx a 1/4 turn on seater on rcbs dies, increments shorter till group tightens. If it does not get better with in a few tries I move on to diff powder.

Shameless plug, with our Hammer Bullets seating depth adjustment has not been needed.

Steve

It seems logical a person would start with the bullet against the rifling to establish a max load. If a person could not reach the rifling when fitting the magazine, that should be the max oal unless they want to shoot it single shot.

It seems logical a person would start with the bullet against the rifling to establish a max load. If a person could not reach the rifling when fitting the magazine, that should be the max oal unless they want to shoot it single shot.

Yep. I like the others do not load with the bullet touching the lands. Had a miss fire on a primer once and the force of the firing pin caused the bullets to stick in the lands and when I tried to cycle another the bullet pulled from the case and stayed in the rifling. Needless to say I lost a once in a lifetime muley. Always off the lands now.

Steve

I seem to be the odd man out here. I always find my seating depth accuracy node first and then work up the powder charge. Reason is that the bullet seating depth affects the powder capacity and pressure and it get me to just two steps. Now this is basically for single loaded rounds. Most guys want to use the magazine. With our bullets I suggest that if you are going to be using a "short" cartridge like a .308 family, WSM or SAUM that if you are building a rifle and want to use the new longer bullets. Do your build on a Long Action. If you are using a long cartridge like .30-06 family , Win Mag, Ultra Mag etc. Use a Winchester or Remington long action or a "clone" that will accept the Wyatts extended internal box magazine or an custom action that already comes with an extended internal box magazine. Use a "dummy round" with the bullet seated so the bearing surface/tail junction is even with or just above the neck/shoulder junction of the cartridge case as a "gauge" so you and your gunsmith can figure just how long you want the throat . For an off the rack rifle do your seating depth testing first to see IF YOU NEED the Wyatts box if you have a long action Remington or Winchester. For other manufacture rifles , especially if they are a short/medium action. The CLASSIC HUNTER may be the way to go. Its Hybrid design makes it very tolerant of jump so ithey are very easy to load tune with . The VLD usually is rather seating depth sensitive and can take some work. Also its over SAMMI length nose dimension can make them rather magazine box unfriendly. Use the "VLDs Making them shoot" seating depth testing instructions found on page 100-101 of the Berger Manual or find it on our website under the INFORMATION TAB in TECH TALK. Like Steve said above. Seating a bullet into the lands in a hunting rifle can result in an unfortunate situation. Hope this helps.

I seem to be the odd man out here. I always find my seating depth accuracy node first and then work up the powder charge. Reason is that the bullet seating depth affects the powder capacity and pressure and it get me to just two steps. Now this is basically for single loaded rounds. Most guys want to use the magazine. With our bullets I suggest that if you are going to be using a "short" cartridge like a .308 family, WSM or SAUM that if you are building a rifle and want to use the new longer bullets. Do your build on a Long Action. If you are using a long cartridge like .30-06 family , Win Mag, Ultra Mag etc. Use a Winchester or Remington long action or a "clone" that will accept the Wyatts extended internal box magazine or an custom action that already comes with an extended internal box magazine. Use a "dummy round" with the bullet seated so the bearing surface/tail junction is even with or just above the neck/shoulder junction of the cartridge case as a "gauge" so you and your gunsmith can figure just how long you want the throat . For an off the rack rifle do your seating depth testing first to see IF YOU NEED the Wyatts box if you have a long action Remington or Winchester. For other manufacture rifles , especially if they are a short/medium action. The CLASSIC HUNTER may be the way to go. Its Hybrid design makes it very tolerant of jump so ithey are very easy to load tune with . The VLD usually is rather seating depth sensitive and can take some work. Also its over SAMMI length nose dimension can make them rather magazine box unfriendly. Use the "VLDs Making them shoot" seating depth testing instructions found on page 100-101 of the Berger Manual or find it on our website under the INFORMATION TAB in TECH TALK. Like Steve said above. Seating a bullet into the lands in a hunting rifle can result in an unfortunate situation. Hope this helps.

how do you pick a powder charge for testing bullet jump first ? thanks Jim

how do you pick a powder charge for testing bullet jump first ? thanks Jim

Use a starting load. The powder charge will not affect the preferred seating depth. You can fine tune your seating depth, if you feel the need, after the powder charge workup. I have never needed to do that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts