WLRM primer in place of Federal 215 ?

valleysnyper

I am new to reloading. Will be loading for my 338 win mag shooting 210gr hammer bullets. I have 2000 WLRM primers and only 200 215's. I'm wondering about starting my loads off with WLRM primers, is this safe ? How low of a charge should I start at ? Thanks in advance

I am new to reloading. Will be loading for my 338 win mag shooting 210gr hammer bullets. I have 2000 WLRM primers and only 200 215's. I'm wondering about starting my loads off with WLRM primers, is this safe ? How low of a charge should I start at ? Thanks in advance
Its always wise to start a couple grains low when changing any component such as primer or lot of powder but on average the fed-215 is a hotter primer the the Win. Still best to be on the safe side and work up. If your starting a new load, just start with established starting loads and work up.

If you don't have any loads yet I would just start where you normally start for a new cartridge. Nothing set in stone for me one primer is hotter with some rifles and cooler in another rifle.

When I start a new load I start with the hottest primer available which is the federal 215 magnum. Once I establish a maximum charge I back off a grain and 1/2 and then load up five each of several primers. I don't start a new load since I started with the hottest primer available. I don't reduce the loads otherwise I'm starting over.

Why waste powder, bullets and barrel life!?