WLRM Primers

Triple BB

I've given up on trying to get my hands on anymore Fed GM215 primers. I'm down to my last 200 primers. I use them in several different loads and calibers and realize there ain't enough to go around. I also recently spoke with a friend in Minnesota who said he talked to a Fed rep who advised it'll probably be latter 2014 before anymore of those primers make it to the public. As such, I went ahead and picked up a 1000 Winchester mag large rifle primers. I've never reloaded these primers before. Does anyone have any opinions. I'm trying to decide which calibers will get the Winchesters and which "one" I'll save the Federals for...

I'm working up some loads now and did a primer test with Fed GM 215-M, CCI 250's, Win WLRM and Rem 9-1/2M's. The Winchester's printed best @ 200 yds. Just try them both and you'll know which is best.

I use nothing but CCI and Winchester primers when at all possible. I'm sure you will have no problems with WLRM primers and like said above, just work up your loads again like we always do when we change a component.

Haven't seen hide nor hair of a Fed primer for months here. I've got enough for a good spell, but there are many in your boat. Good luck to you. Win primers are the second cleanest after Fed. ( cci were the worst) in the brissance testing we did a few years back.

every load will do its best with a different primer. take a load that did the best with a fed match mag and increase or decrease the powder charge by a grain and a ww or cci primer might then do better. I do though prefer the fed match mag for my mag rifles. Its my go to primer for them and i too sure wish more would come available. Im down to about 500 of them and i about treat them like gold.

I had been using the Fed 215's exclusively in my 7mm, that until I ran out. I was able to pick up 5000 of the WLRM primers locally and have begun using them. I just finished shooting them in the same load I have been using the 215's in. I did notice a slight increase in velocity with the WLRM primers, but only about 50fps. I did drop 2gr in the load to be safe and not knowing if the new primers would make a huge difference or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.